Author Topic: Avast + uTorrent  (Read 8360 times)

Pindakaas

Avast + uTorrent
« on: March 09, 2012, 04:50:40 PM »
Why is uTorrent unchecked in the P2P shield ?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Avast + uTorrent
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 05:12:39 PM »
It's unticked for compatibility, utorrent wont function right if you tick the box.

hardov

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 03:38:02 AM »
It's unticked for compatibility, utorrent wont function right if you tick the box.

so Avast 7 dont protect the Utorrent?

Gargamel360

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 04:43:02 AM »
so Avast 7 dont protect the Utorrent?
Its not that it does not protect at all, other parts of Avast! are still working.   

It is the P2P shield he is speaking of.

And you can still enable the P2P Shield to do so.

But the option is off by default, because it can really hurt Utorrent's performance, and possibly your system's performance also if you don't have a lot of resources, because Avast! will scan every little tiny bit Utorrent downloads individually.   

Dch48

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 05:35:17 AM »
Not true, I always tick the box for uTorrent and it works just fine.

hardov

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 05:45:27 AM »
so avast protect or not the Utorrent?

;D

Gargamel360

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 05:58:01 AM »
so avast protect or not the Utorrent? ;D
You have Avast!....turn the option on in the P2P Shield's settings and find out.  Like Dch48 said, for some people it works fine.   I've seen it both work well and also slow everything down on different systems....when you turn it on and try to download using Utorrent, you will notice if it is going bad.

hardov

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 06:11:05 AM »
is working fine in my computer !!!  ;D

Thank you for the help

Pindakaas

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 08:02:21 PM »
ok thanks for the explanation

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 02:25:19 AM »
For some people it works fine.   
I'm lucky ;D
The best things in life are free.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 07:20:11 AM »
It will ALWAYS work right, there is just a matter of performance issues on some systems. uTorrent makes many writes to HDD and because of that, avast! scans many parts written to HDD many times, creating quite severe CPU usage and HDD activity. That's why it's disabled by default. It's not because avast! has problems, it's because of how uTorrent works and avast! can't do anything about it. So they decided to disable it by default. File System Shield will still fully protect you though.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Dch48

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 05:18:59 PM »
It will ALWAYS work right, there is just a matter of performance issues on some systems. uTorrent makes many writes to HDD and because of that, avast! scans many parts written to HDD many times, creating quite severe CPU usage and HDD activity. That's why it's disabled by default. It's not because avast! has problems, it's because of how uTorrent works and avast! can't do anything about it. So they decided to disable it by default. File System Shield will still fully protect you though.
That really doesn't make sense. ALL bit torrent clients work in the same way. Why is uTorrent the only one not selected by default? When I use it (with the check mark selected), the Avast icon only spins indicating scanning once in a while. I assume that's when a piece of the file has completed downloading. Does scanning happen more frequently than if you were downloading in the "normal" fashion? Yes , of course it does. Does this cause any noticeable slowdown or hitches in the system's performance? Not that I have ever noticed. Severe CPU usage? Again, not that I've ever seen, even on a single core machine.