Author Topic: Mail shield and my Hotmail account need help  (Read 5546 times)

Bufbill

Mail shield and my Hotmail account need help
« on: March 11, 2012, 05:02:11 PM »
 >:( Hi all i recently downloaded avast and their 20 day free trial and i noticed my Windows live email account is not working along the mail shield. Can someone help me tweak the settings to integrate avast on my email?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Mail shield and my Hotmail account need help
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 05:30:17 PM »
Are you using the windows live mail client to connect to a hotmail account ? avast cannot scan this setup as windows live uses delta sync for the connection to hotmail.

Bufbill

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 05:47:04 PM »
I guess i am since the mail logs are empty, and sorry i would need a step by step help since i am not a computer geek only a computer dummie LOL

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 05:54:10 PM »
Sorry but there is nothing that can be done, Windows Live and Hotmail uses delta sync for there connection and this cannot be scanned - but your mail is pre scanned at hotmail by Trend Micro so your still safe,  another option if you really want avast to scan your mail is to use Thunderbird mail client instead of Windows Live.

Do you actually have a mail client installed on your system or are you connecting to hotmail direct ?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 06:01:42 PM by craigb »

Bufbill

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 06:01:48 PM »
 :( thank you I will keep as is and not stir things up since i have read there is alittle problem with the email filter and the spam folder. Btw thank you for your responses.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 06:07:13 PM »
Do you actually have a mail client installed on your system or are you connecting to hotmail direct ?

Spam filter is in the paid versions and i think the problem relates to Outlook ??? what version of avast are you using ?

Bufbill

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 06:14:19 PM »
7.01.426 and yes i connect directly to Windows server

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 06:21:13 PM »
I actually ment whether you using free,pro or AIS but doesn't matter.

As you dont have a mail client installed on your system then it is physically impossible for the mail shield to scan anything as it will only scan a mail client that retrieves your mail to your computer, when you connect to Hotmail via your browser it is the Webshield  that is protecting you.

Bufbill

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 06:25:34 PM »
I actually ment whether you using free,pro or AIS but doesn't matter.

As you dont have a mail client installed on your system then it is physically impossible for the mail shield to scan anything as it will only scan a mail client that retrieves your mail to your computer, when you connect to Hotmail via your browser it is the Webshield  that is protecting you.
What do you recommend? Is it even necessary to pay the 19.99 to upgrade the avast program I am in a 20 day free trial. Do you think i should download  a mail client?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 06:37:50 PM »
I cant decide for you if you should pay for the Pro or Ais versions of avast as this is purely up to you and your preference and other security you might already have installed eg firewall, if you would like the benifit of the extra feature that come in pro or ais then use the trial and see if you like it, for me i only required the free version.

The same pretty much applies to an email client in that the decision is really up to your own requirements, if you want to bring the mail into your system then i recommend Thunderbird  but if you've only got the one mail account then for me i would leave it to just checking the mail online.

Bufbill

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 06:48:36 PM »
 ;) Again ty for your feedback i shall wait a little longer to test Avast.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 06:52:34 PM »
No worries, enjoy your testing  :)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 07:43:34 PM »
Why Thunderbird ?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 08:19:15 PM »
Why Thunderbird ?
Well Windows Live would be easyer for the benifit of the automatic syncing of contacts but thats where it stops for me, WLM constantly brings up connection errors for me since the Hotmail servers are always so bloody slow and i find Thunderbird just brings the mail in much faster and uses less resources than WLM, another thing i dont like with WLM client is the excessive amount of empty files it leaves in program data every time you open the program, iv noticed these empty files on numerus systems and not just mine and after deleting them they just slowly build up again.