Author Topic: What type of worm, virus, or whatever?  (Read 4941 times)

silksuki

What type of worm, virus, or whatever?
« on: August 24, 2003, 09:12:53 AM »
I am trying to find out what virus or worm or whatever, would cause some of my small letters to scrunch together on my computer.  I get it on web pages and in my email.  It does not matter whether I have my display settings to 800 X 600 pixels or smaller.  I tried them all and it did not fix it.  And I have another computer that is networked and its view is just fine.  I do not want to wipe my hardrive clean again :-(   I also cannot get to any of the yahoo websites....and sbc (of whom I have my dsl through, spent 8 hours over the phone with me trying to help me.  They think that I may have been infected with a worm or something from spyware.  Soooo, I downloaded adware stopper, sypware stopper.  I changed from Norton Anti virus software to Trojan, to Panda and finally to Avast 4 Home Edition.  Each time I switched except for Panda, each software picked up a virus that the other software missed.  Is there anyone out there that can help me?

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re:What type of worm, virus, or whatever?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2003, 10:44:05 AM »
What viruses do the AV-Software found? I know that Avast found some in the Panda Product, but what did the others find?
MfG Ralf

silksuki

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2003, 07:34:01 PM »
I'm sorry raman....but it wasn't until I read alot of messages in this forum, that I realized how important it is to write down the virus message.  But I did atleast write down the ones that avast found...unforutnately when it said  that it was a virus, I deleted it  :(  So anyway, avast found these viruses ( Win32Blaster[Wm] and Win32:RPCexploit[Trj]
Now here is another problem  :(  While reading posts here, I clicked on the RAV virus url.  it scanned my objects, directories, archives and said that I had 4 infected files.  And that it found 2 viruses.  Now what do I have to use to find those viruses again and delete them?  The 30 day free trial of their desktop antivirus?   Sorry to be such a pain.  I try so hard not to do things that I should not on this computer and then I still get weird stuff happening.  I am truly a newbie when it comes to fixing things myself on this  :'(  Thank you soooo very much raman, and to all of you that read these and give your imput.  You're blessings from cyber heaven  ;D

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2003, 08:15:18 PM »
The problem is, that these Blaster and rpcexploit Malware will come back again, untill you close this "securityhole" in the RPC service by using the Patch offer by MS.  If i remember correctly somewhere here in the forum somebody posts a link to that Patch.
MfG Ralf

silksuki

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2003, 11:15:15 PM »
Once again, thanks bunches raman!  :-*  I am searching now!