Author Topic: Avast IS 7.0 requires restart every time I update!  (Read 12141 times)

Offline SaphirJD

Re: Avast IS 7.0 requires restart every time I update!
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2012, 05:38:17 PM »
and whats with that here which shows an offline registration method? or is that information outdated?

https://support.avast.com/index.php?languageid=1&group=eng&_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=1073

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2012, 05:51:16 PM »
The my.avst server is REQUIRED to be running so that new installs can be registered and work.

Adrian, this is not true.
If my.avast.com is online, registrations go through it.
If my.avast.com is offline, registrations use the old (v6) mechanism. (as a back up mechanism)

But they work in all cases.

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

skay_baltimore

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2012, 06:52:06 PM »
The my.avst server is REQUIRED to be running so that new installs can be registered and work.

Adrian, this is not true.
If my.avast.com is online, registrations go through it.
If my.avast.com is offline, registrations use the old (v6) mechanism. (as a back up mechanism)

But they work in all cases.

Vlk
So then why are people continuing to get errors and demands to constantly re-start when my.avast.com is down?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2012, 07:26:13 PM »
Sorry but that is completely unrelated, avast doesn't need my.avast.com to be up for it to run as it has nothing to do with avast security, it is a portal so that you can remotely check on the status of your installed avast instances.

So there would be no need for avast to reboot; currently my.avast.com doesn't appear to be up and it isn't asking me to reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

skay_baltimore

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2012, 07:31:15 PM »
Sorry but that is completely unrelated, avast doesn't need my.avast.com to be up for it to run as it has nothing to do with avast security, it is a portal so that you can remotely check on the status of your installed avast instances.

So there would be no need for avast to reboot; currently my.avast.com doesn't appear to be up and it isn't asking me to reboot.
Well...you can see the OP's screenshot, where it clearly is asking for a reboot. So even if it's not related to my.avast.com, the question remains: What is causing the problem?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2012, 07:42:51 PM »
And it has nothing to do with my.avast.com.

There are two separate images and two separate problems posted by the OP, the first relates to being unable to connect to my.avast.com and the second totally unconnected requiring the user to restart after an update. And you continue to link this inability to connect to my.avast.com with other unrelated issues.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

vilmantasr

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2012, 08:17:38 PM »

so it is a bug, repair ant reinstall doesn't fix that (after manually pressing Update program).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2012, 08:24:25 PM »
Well this is indicating that it is the program update side that is requesting the restart, have you actually restarted  ?

I haven't seen this in regard to this avast7 version, but there used to be an issue some considerable time ago when a registry key (I believe) wasn't being reset so was still present even after reboot. Unfortunately this was so long ago that I can't recall the key or element that needed resetting.

vilmantasr

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2012, 08:26:30 PM »
I restarted many times and every time i press Update program, AIS asks to restart PC.

skay_baltimore

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2012, 08:29:50 PM »
And it has nothing to do with my.avast.com.

There are two separate images and two separate problems posted by the OP, the first relates to being unable to connect to my.avast.com and the second totally unconnected requiring the user to restart after an update. And you continue to link this inability to connect to my.avast.com with other unrelated issues.
So you've shown what isn't causing the problem. Fine. What IS causing the problem, then? (That, you didn't address.)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2012, 08:33:12 PM »
I restarted many times and every time i press Update program, AIS asks to restart PC.

I have tried to draw this old looping restart issue up to see if this jogs someone's memory as to the value which indicates a restart is required.

Are you also getting this restart required if you just do a manual engine and virus definitions update ?

vilmantasr

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2012, 08:41:35 PM »
Only when pressing Update program, no restart request pressing Update engine and virus definations.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2012, 10:55:02 PM »
Well in general you shouldn't need to routinely check for Program Updates, as the default settings are set to Ask, so it checks automatically if a program update is available you get a notification pop-up Asking if you want to install it now.

That said, it shouldn't require a restart unless an update was found and you applied it.

I checked mine, existing program version 7.0.1426 and off it goes to check at the end of that check it reports I'm up to date, I click OK and it is done, no restart required.

So this will need some avast developer input.

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2012, 04:42:41 AM »
vilmantasr uploaded the general support package in post 7 (the manual virus definations update - reboot problem)