Author Topic: do the definition-update people at avast work nightshifts?  (Read 8308 times)

fnukyguy

do the definition-update people at avast work nightshifts?
« on: March 11, 2012, 04:42:16 PM »
I have been paying attention to the update-page in avast settings to check how often avast is updated with new virus definition and streaming updates.
I may be wrong, but it seems like there is nothing going on from 24 to 08 my time...(im in norway so I think its pretty much the same timezone as czech republic..)

so my question is, do you have employes doing the updates 24/7 ?

skay_baltimore

Re: do the definition-update people at avast work nightshifts?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 05:05:37 PM »
The problem seems to be with the servers, which should be working 24/7, but have not been working properly since this new version was introduced. Apparently, the new version is taxing the servers beyond what the previous version did, and that's causing a lot of problems, both with updates, and with user accounts.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 05:55:09 PM »
The problem seems to be with the servers, which should be working 24/7, but have not been working properly since this new version was introduced. Apparently, the new version is taxing the servers beyond what the previous version did, and that's causing a lot of problems, both with updates, and with user accounts.

skay_baltimore: again, wrong answer.

fnukyguy: no, the streaming updates are currently only sent during extended working hours (around 12/7).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 06:03:47 PM »
Vlk, what about the automated signature generator that was mentioned some time ago? Unless i heard it wrong, something was in the works. But i could be wrong...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 06:25:45 PM »
Vlk, what about the automated signature generator that was mentioned some time ago? Unless i heard it wrong, something was in the works. But i could be wrong...

Everything is done automatically.
We just don't have the balls to keep it running overnight (mainly because of possible FP's).

But we're getting there...

Vlk

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 06:32:34 PM »
The wording of this gave me a good laugh. How funny.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 06:57:07 PM »
Hm, i thought about that. There is always a risk of getting FP and then no one will be around for several hours to verify and correct it.
Makes sense.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

skay_baltimore

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 07:11:01 PM »

fnukyguy: no, the streaming updates are currently only sent during extended working hours (around 12/7).

Thanks
Vlk
So despite post after post saying that the servers are the problem, you're saying the servers are not having any problems?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 07:36:07 PM »

Thanks
Vlk
So despite post after post saying that the servers are the problem, you're saying the servers are not having any problems?

You really are getting things wrong, as Vlk has said. There are currently over 200 update servers (constantly changing); there are many different types of server and the one area my.avast.com (with connection problems) is a completely different issue and separated from the update servers, be that streaming updates or regular auto updates.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Gargamel360

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 07:51:18 PM »
You really are getting things wrong, as Vlk has said. There are currently over 200 update servers (constantly changing); there are many different types of server and the one area my.avast.com (with connection problems) is a completely different issue and separated from the update servers, be that streaming updates or regular auto updates.
+1   

DavidR does 9999 points logic dmg. to skay_trollmore....you have critically damaged skay_trollmore....the trollmore retreats to Wilders, to regenerate and try again

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 08:14:03 PM »

The Avast Account servers are indeed having problems (I mean, the Account app is having problems).
But it has no effect on the updating servers (these are different parts of the infrastructure).

Thanks
Vlk

skay_baltimore

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 08:24:46 PM »

The Avast Account servers are indeed having problems (I mean, the Account app is having problems).
But it has no effect on the updating servers (these are different parts of the infrastructure).

Thanks
Vlk
Fair enough.

skay_baltimore

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 08:25:28 PM »
+1   

DavidR does 9999 points logic dmg. to skay_trollmore....you have critically damaged skay_trollmore....the trollmore retreats to Wilders, to regenerate and try again
I'm really not sure how this type of post is constructive in the least. And frankly, I find it patently rude.

skay_baltimore

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 08:26:34 PM »

Thanks
Vlk

So I got it wrong. The fact is, there have been so many server-related problems (yes, with the update servers as well), it's hard to keep everything straight.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 08:37:10 PM »

I'm really not sure how this type of post is constructive in the least. And frankly, I find it patently rude.
Frankly speaking we dont need you trolling others problems just to put your two bits worth in when your not here to offer help or seek resolve to your own if any issues, your just plain annoying ::)