Author Topic: Icon does not show in tray - AV running  (Read 2624 times)

moreyag

Icon does not show in tray - AV running
« on: March 10, 2012, 06:36:01 PM »
Hello to all. I am running WIndows XP PRo SP3, Avast version 7.0.1426 Definitions 120310-1 with Malwarebytes and Spybot resident shields.
I recently upgraded Avast as instructed and since then the Avast icon does not appear in the systray unless i manually click the exe shortcut to start the program.
According to Windosws Security Center info tab, Avast is running before i manully clikc it.  It just doesn't show up in the systray.
Any thoughts or input?  I did multiple scans  with all of the above programs and found no viruses OR malware.

Thanks in advance for any and all help and best regards
Morey G

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Icon does not show in tray - AV running
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 06:37:56 PM »
Any thoughts or input?

Drop Spybot and try again.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

YoKenny

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 10:09:35 PM »
Any thoughts or input?

Drop Spybot and try again.
Spybot resident shields can interefer with avast!

Malwarebytes is much better.

norel

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 10:53:48 PM »
You could check your startup items through the msconfig.exe configuration utility in Windows and make sure Avast is in the list. Or you can check it with CCleaner. It should be there, but if it's not for some reason that could be the problem. In the off chance it's not there you can add it to the registry manually. In XP, navigate here in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

All your startup items should be listed in the right-hand panel. The one for Avast is:

"C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\avastUI.exe" /nogui

If it's not there, right-click, New, and then String Value. Name it avast. Then right-click it and select Modify. In the box for "Value data" enter:

"C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\avastUI.exe" /nogui

OK, and you're done.

norel

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 06:54:33 PM »
Any luck with this?

I was wondering, when you say Avast is already running before you manually click it, is it AvastUI or AvastSvc? AvastUI controls the tray icon. You probably already have, but also make sure Settings>Show avast! tray icon is enabled.