Author Topic: Avast won't totally uninstall...leaves locked folders.  (Read 23314 times)

HellcatM

Avast won't totally uninstall...leaves locked folders.
« on: March 12, 2012, 01:07:11 AM »
I'm having a different issue with a corrupt Avast install.  My father was having an issues with his computer where Yahoo messenger wouldn't connect and Windows updates wouldn't install.  I was trying to fix that when I noticed he had some Windows updates.  I tried to install them but kept getting an error.  I ran malwarebytes which found nothing then superantispyware which found a few but nothing major.  Also some of his icons went blank.  I saw the update for Avast so I went to update it and it seemed to update fine.  I went to reboot the system and the screen went blank and wouldn't boot into Windows.  I booted into safe mode and ran iobit uninstaller to uninstall Avast and it looked like it uninstalled fine.  I booted back into Windows no problem.  I uninstalled Yahoo messenger.  I also found the Avast uninstall utility and ran it for Avast 7, rebooted then 6 (thinking maybe there was some stuff left over).  I rebooted again, tried installing Avast 7 which seemed to install fine, opened it to look at it and the Protection Status tab was blank.  I rebooted and the screen went blank again.  So again booted into safe mode and ran the uninstall utility and again it seemed to uninstall fine.  I rebooted into Windows again and noticed a few things.  Windows Defender was disabled and Avast didn't uninstall completely leaving some locked folders.  I tried to unlock them with file assassin with no luck then tried lock hunter also with no luck.  I tried to install another anti-virus and it wouldn't install.   I tried installing Windows updates again with no luck then tried Fixit utilities got an error with them as well.  When I installed Avast again Windows Defender was enabled.  And before anyone asks I did try system restore but the restore latest restore point was the day before and when I ran it it didn't fix the issue.  I ran a couple online anti-virus' which found nothing.

I'm guessing he got a virus but either the damage is done and can't be fixed or I have to delete the rest of Avast.  From Defender being disabled when Avast is uninstalled and re-enabled when Avast is installed it makes me think some of my issues have to do with Avast.  Not being able to install updates or run Microsoft Fixit Utilities may not be Avasts problem.  I'm not sure if I have to reinstall Windows or if there is something I haven't thought about.  The only reason I haven't re-installed Windows is because there are a few programs he uses he can't find the disks for.

If anyone can come up with any ideas I'd be happy.

Thank you,
Robert

marc-d-l

Re: Avast won't totally uninstall...leaves locked folders.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 02:31:34 AM »
Download and save this removal tool http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear.exe and a fresh copy of avast 7 then reboot into safe mode and run the tool for all versions of avast you have used in the past, once completed reboot back into normal mode and install your fresh copy of avast.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 02:42:01 AM »
he/she already did

So again booted into safe mode and ran the uninstall utility and again it seemed to uninstall fine. 

norel

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 04:56:39 AM »
Can you uninstall Avast from Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features without going into safe mode? If so, do that, then before rebooting delete the leftover files if it'll let you. When you do it that way you'll have to disable Avast's self-protection in Settings>Troubleshooting. After that, disable the Avast service through the Services dialog (services.msc). I would probably disable Windows Defender too, but that's up to you.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 05:02:44 AM by norel »

UserA789

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 06:32:15 AM »
OP... check out my post on the file 'rescache.hit'.  What files/directories aren't being deleted for you?

This seems to be a strange grouping of coincidence, as with v6 I had something similar (as far as Windows Defender and Avast shuttin down).

HellcatM

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 07:01:10 PM »
OP... check out my post on the file 'rescache.hit'.  What files/directories aren't being deleted for you?

This seems to be a strange grouping of coincidence, as with v6 I had something similar (as far as Windows Defender and Avast shuttin down).

I'll check those when I'm there next time.  That may be a few days.  What did you do to fix the issue?  I thought maybe the files were from v6 that weren't properly deleted or written over from v7?  But when running the aswclear program I tried v6, v7 and 32.  These files just won't delete.  I even logged into safe mode with command prompt and tried to delete them that way with no luck.  I did turn off the Windows Defender service.

HellcatM

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 01:46:32 PM »
The folders that can't be deleted are in the appdata and def folders under C:\avast\avast software.  I'm not even able to access those folders.  It says I don't have permission, but even turning off UAC doesn't work.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 02:03:02 PM »
The folders that can't be deleted are in the appdata and def folders under C:\avast\avast software.  I'm not even able to access those folders.  It says I don't have permission, but even turning off UAC doesn't work.
Try signing in with an administrators account then you should be able to delet them.

HellcatM

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 08:17:31 PM »
I wrote in my main post I logged in to safe mode which is administrator.  I even logged into safe mode command prompt.  I still can't delete them.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »
If you run this script http://media.askvg.com/downloads/2009/01/windows-7-registry-tweaks.zip it will add a take ownership to the right click context panel in windows 7, which means you can then right click on the file you wish to delet and take ownership then you'll be able to delet, if your not running win7 dont run the script and you'll have to take ownership of the file manually.

To uninstall the script and restore default settings http://media.askvg.com/downloads/2009/01/restore-default-windows-7-settings.zip

This is what the script adds http://www.askvg.com/collection-of-registry-tweaks-for-windows-7/
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 10:57:12 AM by craigb »

skay_baltimore

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 10:37:19 PM »
If you run this script http://media.askvg.com/downloads/2009/01/windows-7-registry-tweaks.zip it will add a take ownership to the right click context panel in windows 7, which means you can then right click on the file you wish to delet and take ownership then you'll be able to delet, if your not running win7 dont run the script and you'll have to take ownership of the file manually.

This is what the script adds http://www.askvg.com/collection-of-registry-tweaks-for-windows-7/
Very cool tweak. Thanks.

Reading through the list of the other changes that this tweak makes, I Googled "Take Ownership in Win 7" and found a tweak that only adds the "Take Ownership" option to the context menu in W.E. without making any other changes. It also has the uninstall registry file in case you want to undo the tweak. Here's the link for that solo option tweak, in case anyone is interested:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 10:38:53 PM by skay_baltimore »

norel

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 01:17:36 AM »
You might try Dr. Delete. I know you said you already tried File Assassin, but it might be worth a try. I've used it on some pretty tough ones.  :)

http://www.docsdownloads.com/dr-delete-1.htm

The download link is halfway down. It says "Click Here To Download - .zip file - 139 kb." At the top where it says "Dr. Delete Download" isn't a link.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 02:26:53 AM by norel »

HellcatM

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 03:13:47 AM »
Some good suggestions.  Next time I'm at my fathers place I'll try them and let you know if any worked.  I REALLY don't want to re-install Windows.  Luckily his computer is running ok otherwise.  I just told him to be extra careful because he doesn't have an AV.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 08:23:56 AM »
Some good suggestions.  Next time I'm at my fathers place I'll try them and let you know if any worked.  I REALLY don't want to re-install Windows.  Luckily his computer is running ok otherwise.  I just told him to be extra careful because he doesn't have an AV.

No such thing as "being extra careful". 

No internet connectivity until he installs Avast!.  It only takes a second or two for all hell to break loose.  You will not know what hit you without protection.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Fl_Gulfer0069

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 05:00:37 PM »
Will this work on games that will not uninstall from the Uninstall area? It won't let me remove any game I install before the new avast update installed itself.
(Internet Security 7.0.1407)