Author Topic: Avast won't totally uninstall...leaves locked folders.  (Read 23315 times)

skay_baltimore

Re: Avast won't totally uninstall...leaves locked folders.
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 05:22:40 PM »
Will this work on games that will not uninstall from the Uninstall area? It won't let me remove any game I install before the new avast update installed itself.
(Internet Security 7.0.1407)
I'm not sure. As an alternative, have you tried Revo uninstaller in safe mode?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2012, 06:18:43 PM »
Will this work on games that will not uninstall from the Uninstall area? It won't let me remove any game I install before the new avast update installed itself.
No it wont, it only works on files.
You also need to update your avast to 7.0.1426 wich may cure your uninstalling problem, if not try uninstalling your games via safe mode and as a last resort use revo.

UserA789

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2012, 06:41:33 PM »

What did you do to fix the issue?
Listened as nobody answered the direct question, continually trying to falme me, until I emailed VLK himself.  After that, got told there aint much one can do.  Peraonlly, I think, probably due to its new found fame, Avast is being jack't at every angle... to inlucde the forum.  Its getting like this with most forums you try and bring real issues to as well, so Im not to upset here.

But as of yet, no one... to inlcude the Avast Tech Support... has givenm an answer that leaves me with another choice than re-formatting.  I also have issue with alot of software being suggested, some not even from the originating sites ??? , either way iut'd be nice to see seom real progress happen in this area of folders/files that wont delete.  From what Im hearing on other threads, I dont even dare call iYogi for support.

It seems, on the forum, the answer lies with other vendors, as no method that Avast produces can do it.  Its really starting to feel like this ship has been overrun.

HellcatM

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2012, 07:28:16 PM »
No it wont, it only works on files.
You also need to update your avast to 7.0.1426 wich may cure your uninstalling problem, if not try uninstalling your games via safe mode and as a last resort use revo.

Revo free won't work on 64bit programs so I suggest Iobit uninstaller.  It does the same thing as Revo but also is 100% free and works on 64bit programs.

HellcatM

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2012, 07:34:26 PM »

Listened as nobody answered the direct question, continually trying to falme me, until I emailed VLK himself.  After that, got told there aint much one can do.  Peraonlly, I think, probably due to its new found fame, Avast is being jack't at every angle... to inlucde the forum.  Its getting like this with most forums you try and bring real issues to as well, so Im not to upset here.

But as of yet, no one... to inlcude the Avast Tech Support... has givenm an answer that leaves me with another choice than re-formatting.  I also have issue with alot of software being suggested, some not even from the originating sites ??? , either way iut'd be nice to see seom real progress happen in this area of folders/files that wont delete.  From what Im hearing on other threads, I dont even dare call iYogi for support.

It seems, on the forum, the answer lies with other vendors, as no method that Avast produces can do it.  Its really starting to feel like this ship has been overrun.

Well if none of these ideas work and if I end up re-installing Windows I probably won't use Avast until I hear the issue is fixed.  Installing an AV and having issues when trying to upgrade and not being able to uninstall in hope to fix the issues is just as bad as having a virus. 

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2012, 07:35:54 PM »
Iobit  :o no way any iobit product come's anywhere near my system, then again i wouldn't install Revo either ;D

skay_baltimore

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2012, 08:15:50 PM »

I know it's a work around, but did you consider using that reg tweak that allows you to right click on a folder and take ownership (the one I posted...that only tweaks that one thing, not the one that does like 6 or 7 tweaks)? It'd be a lot less hassle than doing a full OS re-install.

(And even aside from using it to delete that troublesome folder, it's nifty to have to get into otherwise inaccessible Win 7 folders.)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 08:18:39 PM by skay_baltimore »

HellcatM

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2012, 10:16:05 PM »
I'm going to try all the new suggestions next time I'm in the area to look at my fathers computer.  I hope one of them works.  I'll keep the forum informed either way so if anyone else has the same issue they can hopefully fix it.

Thank you again

HellcatM

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2012, 12:52:13 AM »
If you run this script http://media.askvg.com/downloads/2009/01/windows-7-registry-tweaks.zip it will add a take ownership to the right click context panel in windows 7, which means you can then right click on the file you wish to delet and take ownership then you'll be able to delet, if your not running win7 dont run the script and you'll have to take ownership of the file manually.

To uninstall the script and restore default settings http://media.askvg.com/downloads/2009/01/restore-default-windows-7-settings.zip

This is what the script adds http://www.askvg.com/collection-of-registry-tweaks-for-windows-7/

Well that got rid of the avast folders but I still can't install Avast properly or do Windows update.  I tried to delete everything in the registry that had to do with Avast but couldn't delete Avast real-time shield.  I think that may be the issue why when I install Avast the real-time shield protection status is blank and maybe even has something to do with the black screen on reboot.  I'm guessing it tries to over write these files and entries and since it can't it just leaves them be without an error on installation and since they're older versions of the files they're not compatible with the new version of Avast.  Then again if I could delete all locked (well now registry entries) theirs no saying that that will fix the problem, its just my theory.

I don't think this has anything to do with not being able to do Windows updates though.  Whatever virus my father got I think deleted some files and I looked up the 8000fff error and none of the fixes work.  I tried to register the windows update files by

Method 6: Register the Windows Update files
Register the Windows Update files. To do this, follow these steps:

Open an administrative Command Prompt window.
    At the command prompt, type the following command:
    REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL /S
    REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL /S
    REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL /S
    REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL /S
    REGSVR32 WUCLTUX.DLL /S
    REGSVR32 WUWEBV.DLL /S
    REGSVR32 JSCRIPT.DLL /S
    REGSVR32 MSXML3.DLL /S
    Try to install updates again.

some of them failed.  Could be these files are missing.  I wonder if I can just copy them from my home machine and put them on his machine?  Couldn't be that easy could it?  Maybe I'll just save a copy of his system32 folder and try it and see if that works.

norel

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2012, 05:21:58 AM »
The Avast Real-Time Shields are associated with the Avast Service. If the service is stopped, the shields quit working and if the service is running you can't uninstall anything. That's why I suggested earlier you first disable the Avast self-protection module then disable the Avast Service just to make sure it's off. I don't know if you tried it, but since you can't delete that real-time shield entry I'd be suspicious of a glitch having to do with the service. I may be way off but at this point it would be easier to try that before reformatting.

HellcatM

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2012, 07:03:10 PM »
Here is my problem.  Since uninstalling Avast the service doesn't show up so I can't uninstall it.  SO with that in mind do you think re-installing Avast (even though it won't install properly) to stop the service will fix my issue?