Author Topic: Can Avast Provide Step by Step How To Do A Memory Dump?  (Read 2550 times)

Jack 1000

Can Avast Provide Step by Step How To Do A Memory Dump?
« on: March 12, 2012, 06:52:17 AM »
Sup Avast?  (For people with Avast 7 problems who have tried uninstall with the uninstall utility and reinstall, and are still having issues.)  Fortunately, my Avast 7 is working well, but this question has come up before in the past.

I tried searching in the Help files for how to do a memory dump because someone asked about how to create one, and the returned information was confusing, and said you had to go into Reg Edit.  Is there any easier way?  I know there was because a few years ago, I had Vlk analyze an Avast Memory Dump for me without the need for the use of Reg Edit.

And than, how do you know when the team gets the dump file?

Jack
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 07:46:44 AM by Jack 1000 »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Can Avast Provide Step by Step How To Do A Memory Dump?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 06:58:43 AM »
Easiest way is: GUI -> Maintenance -> Support
You can generate a support package there and will be guided how to upload it.
Else: https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=87
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Can Avast Provide Step by Step How To Do A Memory Dump?
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 11:07:41 AM »
Depends on the problem.
If there's a system crash (i.e. a bluscreen), a dump should be created automatically. For "freeze" problems, however, it's necessary to be able to invoke the bluscreen (and subsequent dump creation) manually - that's what the special registry value, described e.g. here, is needed.