Author Topic: Avast 7 + Windows7 Laptop Problems  (Read 18399 times)

neksko

Avast 7 + Windows7 Laptop Problems
« on: March 12, 2012, 04:43:11 PM »
Recently I updated both of my systems to the latest Avast client version, 7.0.1426.  Both systems already had the free software installed and I used in the in client upgrade button.  My XP system has had no issues, however my Windows7 system was first rendered non-bootable and is now unresponsive durings scans and then BSOD.

After the initial version update of the program, Avast notified me that a reboot was required, so I rebooted.  System would hang after entering password and would never load.  I was able to boot into safe mode, but not safe mode w/networking.  This strikes me as odd.  In safe mode I was able to run the removal tool from Avast.  After removing the software my system was again bootable and ran fine.  I then did a cleaninstall of the latest version 7.0.1426 and my system again would hang after reboot after entering password.  Safe mode wipe again.  After which I went and found the previous version 7.0.1407 and installed it.  There were no issues after this install and reboot that I could see.  I decided to setup a full scan as I had setup in my previous versions.  Ran the scan and after 68% my system began to not respond.  Task monitor didn't even show system being taxed.  I waited this out and was able to kill the scan.

Overnight I decided to start the scan and let it run all night to see if it would actually finish.  When I got up today my system had rebooted itself and upon login I received a BSOD.  So, something from the latest release has caused serious failures on this Windows7 laptop.

BSOD:
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   BlueScreen
  OS Version:   6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
  Locale ID:   1033

Additional information about the problem:
  BCCode:   7a
  BCP1:   FFFFF6FC50044600
  BCP2:   FFFFFFFFC0000185
  BCP3:   00000000424F2880
  BCP4:   FFFFF8A0088C00B8
  OS Version:   6_1_7600
  Service Pack:   0_0
  Product:   768_1

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Avast 7 + Windows7 Laptop Problems
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 04:49:52 PM »
Any other security software installed, have you removed the factory installed AV eg ( Norton, TrendMicro etc ) and run the correct removal tool to delet remnants.

It also looks like you haven't updated your service pack to SP1, not that this should affect it though but you should always apply all windows updates.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 04:53:25 PM by craigb »

neksko

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 07:59:15 PM »
No other AV software installed.  I don't recall there being any factory installed AV when I got this years ago from Dell.  If there was, then I removed it as I see no traces of any other AV on the system.  Removal of Avast was done using their provided removal tool.

Sure I could update my OS, but as you noted that will probably not change anything.  It also complicates it when people want to know if anything else has changed recently.  Considering this baseline functioned perfectly before the latest version 7.0.1426 I would rather keep it as is in case they need something specific.

I'm mostly posting here as I saw another user with almost identical issues posting a topic.  If more people post then perhaps it will get more eyes from Avast.  I can function without running my weekly scan for a bit, though I'd prefer not too.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 12:34:13 AM »
Can you please upload the corresponding minidumps (from C:\Windows\Minidump folder) to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming ?
Thanks.

neksko

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 02:04:28 AM »
Can you please upload the corresponding minidumps (from C:\Windows\Minidump folder) to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming ?
Thanks.

Igor,
  Two dump files should be there now, though it is hard to confirm since visibility in the folder looks to be blocked. 
Filenames:
031212-14508-01.dmp - first dump appears to be middle of the night while scan was running.
031212-14476-01.dmp - second dump which was on subsequent boot and login.

UncleJohnsBand

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 02:37:52 AM »
I just had the same issue....I was on the 7 version and saw there was an upgrade today (I think to 7.2) and following the update laptop stopped at the password....I could enter it and would get the welcome message but it would just sit on that page......after rebooting into safe mode with networking and unistalling Avast I was again able to get into my laptop.

w7 x-64 ultimate
DELL E1705

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 06:38:20 PM »
@neksko, your crashes are not caused by avast, it seems like hw fault (memory, cpu); would you mind check memory status (memtest86.com), check cpu temp, etc. Thanks.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 08:36:08 PM »
I have also had issues with my laptop using Windows 7 operating system after updating Avast to version 7.0.1426 in which the system will hang when I first connect using my DAIL-UP connection as well as when I first login into the operating system or at times when I reboot. It seems the computer will have periods of time when it slows down significantly at which time web pages in some case have difficulty completely loading which requires many attempts to accomplish a complete load of pages in many cases. 

None of these kinds of things were occurring prior to installing Avast 7.0.1426 from Avast version 6 which was working just fine.  What happens all the time now when I am NOT connected are requests to connect for Avast programs i.e. vl.ff.avast.com, sv.ff.avast.com etc at which time when I do try and connect the DIAL-UP the operating system will sometimes lock up for some time.  I now have a 5 minute delay on Avast updates to avoid to much traffic while initially connecting my DIAL-UP which doesn't seem to make any difference.
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

neksko

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 09:10:49 PM »
@neksko, your crashes are not caused by avast, it seems like hw fault (memory, cpu); would you mind check memory status (memtest86.com), check cpu temp, etc. Thanks.

Thank you for checking the dump files.  I will gladly run a few series of mem-tests, though I am extremely skeptical of that being the actual problem.  I say this because the system is functioning perfectly fine running all other applications except version 7 of Avast.  I am of the opinion that avast was causing some sort of system event when trying to scan certain file types and this is why the crash is registering a system type event in the dump.

I will update when I find any further information.

neksko

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 10:49:52 PM »
Just ran multiple passes of memtest86 v4.2 - all pass, no errors detected.

Fere

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 12:29:28 AM »
We are having the same issue as stated above. We have a large client base that we suggest the use of avast to and this morning we have had over 20 individual sites that have had all of their PCs unable to load because of this update.

Updating to version 7 of the software either manually or automatically causes windows 7 (x64) to hang after having logged in at the 'waiting' page.

It has a simliar effect on vista but it hangs pre-login at the 'configuring' page.

At the moment we are downgrading to a 'Safe' version 6, but this is not something that we can do in the longterm.

itsacyn

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 09:42:21 AM »
I don't know if this is where I'm suppose to post but I am having the same problems exactly after installing Avast 7 and I UNINSTALLED my McAfee and other security programs it's a mess and it takes all kinds of messing with start up  f8 options and then I have to ctrl alt delete and go to task manager to get on computer and my Avast is turned off can't turn on dialog box says File System Sheild provider not found what is all this about

Jobdan

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 10:36:43 AM »
Same Problem here.

After booting the system and logging into windows, the system freezed up and nothing more happened. I had to to a cold boot. I tried several times - same behavior. Sometimes the systems freezed when clicking on the userpicture, sometimes it freezed after enterig the password. But i was never able to see the Icons on the desktop.

Cleaning in safe mode and reinstalling. Now everything works again.
But there is something wrong with 7.0.1426 .

Franca2012

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 01:16:17 AM »
Hi
I have been having trouble, cannot download big fish game manager, or games.  computer goes into savemode. etc.

I did ring tech support and I do not know what they did but the computer does not run as before.  they wanted to charge me $180.00 to fix problem.  When I said I had already paid $180.00 late last year and was covered until later this year, they kept insisting on me paying.  when I finally said no i want the computer fixed under the payment I already did they put me onto someone else and who knows what they deleted.  Not happy in the least with AVAST this time round.

Franca

neksko

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 11:59:24 PM »
Well, I haven't had much luck still with Avast since the update.  My system is taking forever to respond while scanning DLL and SYS files and is often bluescreening during these file scans.

Is there some change with deep scanning of these types of files?
Quick Scan seems to function decently.

Something has changed in the latest updates with how Avast is scanning certain file types, as this was not happening previously on full scans.