Author Topic: A very serious matter - please read  (Read 6053 times)

Avastfan1

A very serious matter - please read
« on: January 21, 2013, 06:49:16 PM »
Dear Forum,

It appears that somebody used my nickname from this forum to post on another security forum.

I have notified the Avast administrators that I was not involved and would like to post a short message here for others to avoid confusion.

- I had not heard of Wilders Security forum until the Avast administrators mentioned it to me.
- I am NOT registered on that forum.
- I have not had anything to do with any version whatsoever of Avast 8.
- I would NEVER do anything to harm Avast or its products.
- I have been on this forum for a few years, and the people that know me would not believe that I would be involved with the other forum.
- I really value my membership on this forum.
- I really value the people on here and the quality advice and camaraderie on this forum.
- If you compare the style of writing on the Wilders forum from my imposter to my past posts on this forum, it is clear that I do not write like he / she does.

I would ask for your trust in this matter and I hope you all take my word as a fellow Avast member on this board.

Best wishes,

Avastfan1

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: A very serious matter - please read
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 12:50:56 AM »
I'm not doubting your sincerity but have you reported this to Winders?
They can, just like avast, check IP addresses. After all aren't you regular on Wilders?  ???
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Avastfan1

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 01:20:55 AM »
No, I have not reported this to Wilders.

I have not, and will not, register myself on the other security forum. In fact, I had no idea it even existed until the Avast administrators advised me of it.

The Avast administrators are aware of it and are dealing with it.

Thank you for the vote of confidence though.

Best wishes,

Avastfan1

DBone

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 04:59:30 AM »
Is someone on Wilders actually claiming to be you, or did they simply choose the same user name as you? Big difference. 

Avastfan1

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 07:04:09 AM »
It appears somebody has registered an account on the other forum with the same nickname I use here.

As I stated, it was not ME who registered an account on the other forum, nor was it ME who posted on the other forum.

Offline ProTruckDriver

• Retired USN & Truck Driver. Love Retirement Checks
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 07:15:42 AM »
It looks like Wilders Forum closed the account on the person using your nickname but his posts are still posted. Wow now people are hijacking forum members names.
Late 2015 5K 27" Mac, 4GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB Fusion Drive: macOS Catalina 10.15.7 
 iMac Clone and Backup with: SuperDuper, Time Machine & iCloud 
 Malwarebytes Premium, AdGuard

Avastfan1

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 07:27:47 AM »
I am glad that they closed the account of the 'imposter' on the other forum.

Why he or she chose to use my nickname there, I have no idea!

However, it needs to be made clear that it was NOT me.

I would never do anything to harm Avast, their products or my friends on this forum.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 07:42:04 AM »
there is also one avastfan1 at zone alarm forum, he is using the nick za_avastfan but all post end with
http://www.zonealarm.com/forums/showthread.php/63391-Correct-ZA-Pro-for-a-Window-Vi-ta-System?highlight=avastfan1

best wishes
avastfan1

is that you?

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 12:39:03 PM »
there is also one avastfan1 at zone alarm forum, he is using the nick za_avastfan but all post end with
http://www.zonealarm.com/forums/showthread.php/63391-Correct-ZA-Pro-for-a-Window-Vi-ta-System?highlight=avastfan1

best wishes
avastfan1

is that you?
Judging by the use of Vi$ta and the quite often used Micro$oft by Avastfan1 I'd say we're probably taking about the same person. ;)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Avastfan1

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 06:21:50 PM »
Dear Forum,

When I used Zone Alarm, I was on the ZA forum. You can tell by the style of my writing. I stopped using ZoneAlarm and have not posted on the ZA forum for a few years.

I feel really sad that my credibility is being questioned.

I would like to repeat that I did not register on the Wilders Security Forum, I have never used Avast 8, I did not have anything to do with the beta release.

I hope this gives some clarity to the issue, and I hope my fellow forum members can believe me.

Best wishes,

Avastfan1

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 06:49:08 PM »
Hi Avastfan1,

Is this such a complicated case that the "leaker" both abused your and Asyn's account names? Why did he go into the trouble of doing so in the first place? He/she/it must have a profound disliking of both of you...... Fremde Behauptungen  :-X

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 06:51:05 PM »
Dear Forum,

When I used Zone Alarm, I was on the ZA forum. You can tell by the style of my writing. I stopped using ZoneAlarm and have not posted on the ZA forum for a few years.

I feel really sad that my credibility is being questioned.

I would like to repeat that I did not register on the Wilders Security Forum, I have never used Avast 8, I did not have anything to do with the beta release.

I hope this gives some clarity to the issue, and I hope my fellow forum members can believe me.

Best wishes,

Avastfan1

For what it's worth I believe you. 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 06:52:18 PM »
Hi Avastfan1,

Is this such a complicated case that the "leaker" both abused your and Asyn's account names? Why did he go into the trouble of doing so in the first place? He/she/it must have a profound disliking of both of you...... Fremde Behauptungen  :-X

Even more so why go to all of the trouble of creating a post history in excess of 50 posts for one and (if I remember correctly) 150 plus for the other this takes time as that post history leaves a trail.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Avastfan1

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 06:58:44 PM »
Dear DavidR, Polonus and -Midnight,

Your posts made me feel a lot better. Thank you sincerely for that.

I felt really sad that people would think I would do anything like that.

I love Avast, I love the people on this forum and I love the Avast products.

I can only again say thank you for giving me a shimmer of hope. I hope that somebody also does something nice for you this evening.

Best wishes,

Avastfan1