Author Topic: Avast! Free 2012 causes massive slow downs with windows 7 Pro x64  (Read 21881 times)

BlazBlue

Hi, I normally really like and prefer Avast! free edition as my anti virus software. But the latest 2012 Version 7 edition was causing such a huge slow down on my PC that I eventually had to uninstall it and switch back to AVG free. The problem was such that Windows 7 Pro x64 reported the slow down. Any and all programs would either be very slow to load, or not load at all. Especially if it was a big program, like a game. Something that definitely should not happen when running and 8 core CPU with 16Gb of ram and the system installed onto an SSD. When the Avast! crew fix the problem, I'll gladly change back to it. Till then, I'll have to stick with AVG as my preferred anti virus.

Note: The system slow down had nothing to do with running scans and all settings within the program were left as default. It is, or was, a problem noticed when the computer was on idle and the tray icon sitting static. It's really a huge bummer for me, because I really like the sandbox and ability to report false positives that are usually picked up with some of the no-cd patches I use for games.

If anyone else has experienced the same problem, I'd love to hear about it. Thanks in advance.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast! Free 2012 causes massive slow downs with windows 7 Pro x64
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 03:14:54 AM »
I can't promise to help, as it is not easy to troubleshoot problems like this...
But, which are other security programs in this computer?
The best things in life are free.

gategem

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 02:17:04 PM »
I have the same problem with AIS 7. AIS 6 runs fine. I don't use any other active security programs.

BlazBlue

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 12:55:57 PM »
I can't promise to help, as it is not easy to troubleshoot problems like this...
But, which are other security programs in this computer?

No other security problems. Keep my machine fairly tight and clean. Other than Windows update and Defender, Avast! was the only Anti Virus running.

sandwormusmc

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 07:43:19 PM »
+1 on this problem.  Huge slow downs, had to disable the product completely through services.msc and was hoping to find a solution here before uninstalling.  I've always like the product but I'm thinking I'll have to uninstall and stop recommending it ... :/

YoKenny

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 12:28:11 AM »
+1 on this problem.  Huge slow downs, had to disable the product completely through services.msc and was hoping to find a solution here before uninstalling.  I've always like the product but I'm thinking I'll have to uninstall and stop recommending it ... :/
Absolutly no problems on my Windows 7 system!   :)

mackenzie2

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 02:02:57 AM »
I also have this problem on my laptop. Win 7 home 64bit. But I do not think it is Avast. I was running AVG full suite until recently. Laptop dreadfully slow to start up. I have to wonder if it is all the blasted Microsoft updates??

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 02:16:37 AM »
Uninstall possible remnants of previously installed AVG see, http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/, this has a collection of manufactures removal tools, so that should remove any remnants, registry, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Zebrdee

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 03:27:10 PM »
Just registered to say the same thing, slow to start, slow to shutdown since last upgrade to V7.0.146. Win 7 Home Premium 64bit.

Someone said to uninstall and reinstall, anyone tried that?

gmhbon

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 01:06:24 PM »
+ 1 (in fact +3). I have the same very slow boot problem on all of our family PC's/Notebooks. All are Win7-64bit.  Either this is caused by some recent Windows Update, but I find no clues, or it is caused by the latest update of Avast!Free 2012. Please advise how to fix or workaround (apart from uninstalling) . Love the product otherwise :-)

ivinvgp

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 12:32:28 PM »
I'm also facing the same problem. i'm running win 7 64 bit with avast 7 free edition and everything was fine until 10 days back when suddenly my windows 7 started to hang soon after the desktop was loaded. No applications would load , not even the start menu.everything will just get stuck and remain like that forever and i had to hard-reboot my computer everytime. After spending  2 full days on this issue, I found out that my PC would work fine in 2 conditions only. 1) when internet is switched off. 2) when Avast is disabled. So, i figured out that some recent update in avast is causing some unwanted usage of network resources or internet, which is causing the slowdown.I have uninstalled avast now and everything is smooth and ok.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2012, 07:59:42 PM »
I'm running Windows 8 on a 64 bit Dell Inspiron and there aren't any problems.
Maybe the blame lies with some of the other programs that you have running.
Or a conflict caused by remnants remaining from an old and forgotten Antivirus installation which has never been properly removed.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 08:18:01 PM »
@ all the guys with one post in this topic: Please start a new topic and answer these questions there:

- Which avast!..?? (Free/Pro/IS)
- Which version..??
- OS..?? (32/64 Bit..? - which SP..?)
- Other security related software installed..??
- Which AV did you use before avast!..??
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

ivinvgp

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2012, 08:04:18 PM »
@bob3160- no chance at all. blame lies with avast only and no other software.
I tried disabling almost all other windows services but only when avast was disabled, my PC began to work properly without hanging.
if the blame is with some other application as you said, why it's not giving trouble when avast is uninstalled?
if such a problem exists with some application, it should always show the problem irrespective of whether Avast is installed or not.
My PC became normal the moment i disabled/uninstalled avast.
just bcoz it's working fine for some people like u does'nt mean that there is'nt any problem with the software.
same application can work differently under different circumstances.
and for your Information, i had not installed any other antivirus prior to this.
I had been using Avast, and avast only, for the past 4 years.i have never even thought about trying another free antivirus until this incident.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2012, 08:33:11 PM »
Conflict requires two participants, removing one of those participants removes the conflict, but what it doesn't do is determine the other participant and why the conflict occurs.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security