Author Topic: Mail protection and e-mail accounts???  (Read 10298 times)

Truikka

Mail protection and e-mail accounts???
« on: August 19, 2003, 06:36:17 PM »
This answer in the FAQ didn't help. It just described the problem and it's origin but didn't provide any solutions.

Q: avast!4 changes my POP3 and SMPT settings on 127.0.0.1 and also names of e-mail accounts so I cannot send any messages. What is wrong?

A: avast! needs to change that settings, otherwise it can´t scan your e-mail messages. But it can´t cause problems with sending or recieving messages. If you have that problems, follow these steps: (What the hell?: Can't cause Problems? If you have that problems??)

In Outlook Express, set your servers of incomming and outgoing servers to default. Also correct the username and password.
Try to send and recieve e-mail. All should work OK, but without protection of avast.
Now close Outlook Express (very important!!!).
Start Mail Protection Wizard (START -> PROGRAMS -> AVAST! ANTIVIRUS -> MAIL PROTECTION WIZARD).
Follow the instructions.
At the end, you can launch Outlook Express
Yeah? That's how the problem starts. The wizards changes the settings and after this I can't send or receive any e-mail. So what do I do???? I'm in my universities network and behind Zone Alarm ???.

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Mail protection and e-mail accounts???
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2003, 09:44:09 AM »
What error messages do you see when you try to send/receive mail ?

Truikka

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2003, 08:30:27 PM »

(.............) =Rough translation

Palvelinyhteys epäonnistui (server connection failed): '127.0.0.1', Protokolla (Protocol): POP3, Portti (port) SSL-suojattu (SSL-protected): Ei, Socket-virhe:(No, Socket error) 10061, Virhenumero (Error number): 0x800CCC0E

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2003, 09:08:24 AM »
The Mail scanner was probably not started. Start the program ashMaiSv.exe from avast4 folder and try mail again. It should get started automatically, but if it doesn't, you may create a shortcut to ashMaiSv.exe in your Startup folder.

Truikka

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2003, 04:44:35 PM »
 :) That was it. Thanks. This might be a good answer to FAQ.

Nikita

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2003, 06:49:25 AM »
??

Nikita

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2003, 08:50:20 PM »
 ???   Help.  I do not understand ....
In Outlook Express, set your servers of incomming and outgoing servers to default.
How do I get THERE.  To the point of finding the place where to set servers to default?  I can not seem to find it.  :duh

Truikka

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2003, 08:39:36 AM »
If you're using Outlook:
tools->accounts->(select your account)->settings->servers

Here you have to set your e-mail providers servers and your username.

dooley

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2003, 12:29:30 PM »
I have exactly the same problem as Truikka has/had. I run the mail wizard, it changes my POP3 & SMPT settings to 127.0.0.1 & then I am unable to send e-mail.
I change settings back to my default & mail sends ok.
I tried clicking on the ashMaisV exe as Vojtech suggested without any improvement, still won't send.
I am using outlook express. Can anyone help please.

blutzer

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2003, 06:46:11 PM »
I am experiencing exactly the same problems as dooley....
When the settings change to 127.0.0.1, I cannot send or receive email.
but when I revert to my original settings, Outlook Express works fine.

Sounds like it must be a common problem!!

bbfi

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2003, 08:02:27 PM »
I also use Outlook Express and all works well.   :)

When in Outlook Express, go to Tools->Accounts->(select your account)->Properties->Servers.

Set both POP3 and SMTP to 127.0.0.1

In the Account Name, set it to your login or account name followed by the # and follow that by the ISP Server name.  For example -

my_login_name#my_server.com

Go to the Advanced Tab and set SMTP to 25 and POP3 to 110.

Click OK.  You should be able to receive and send emails now and Avast should check them in each direction.  If this does not work, you will have to edit the Avast4.ini file.  Try what I said first and see if that cures the problem.  ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2003, 08:58:11 PM »
See other foruns related: http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=538;start=new

Did you try to use the link "Mail Protection Wizard" in the Windows Menu?
I suggest remove avast protection from the emails (2nd option), start Outlook Express (do not download emails because you´re not protected), close Outlook, use Mail Protection Wizard again choosing the 1st option (with the checkbox "Automatically protect... in the future". I use Outlook Express and MailWasher too, this operation works to me when "anything" happens with the password and proxy servers. Good luck.  ;)
The best things in life are free.