Author Topic: Avast Program update does not inform me when set to do so. Please fix avast team  (Read 5978 times)

kevbeck

Ive had avast for about 100 days now and i have always left it on the settings "ask me when n update is available" under [Program]. It has never asked me or notified when an update is available for a new program version. So this means that my definitions dont update because there is a new program update available and i take it that it's required to update the program before being able to update the definitions (because they do not update). So after noticing days later that i dont get a notification of definition updates i realize that its unusual. That is how i realize there is a new program version available (by checking manually after a lack of avast notification updates). I assume it is important to update to the latest program version as avast would say it ensures the utmost protection and security. So avast please listen when me > a paid customer > says to fix this issue. I care about the safety of my system and rely on you to fix something like this immediately.
Thank You

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
We throttle the displaying of those popups based on several criteria:
- load on the updating servers
- confidence in the quality of the update

So it may be you won't see the update notification for a few weeks after the new version is released.

This is how it's been since v5.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Jack 1000

So it may be you won't see the update notification for a few weeks after the new version is released.

Thanks
Vlk

I got my version 7 pop up notice a few days after general release.  I think moving from 5-6 it was about a month or longer.

Jack
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 01:17:40 AM by Jack 1000 »

kevbeck

Thanks
Vlk

Is it normal for a user to be unable to update their virus definitions unless the program is updated when one is released?

Jack 1000

Thanks
Vlk

Is it normal for a user to be unable to update their virus definitions unless the program is updated when one is released?

They are two separate things.  The default settings are as follows:

Update Engine and Virus Definitions-Set to Auto: At least once a day, perhaps up to a few times a day, users get a list of new virus cures in the form of Signature Definition updates. (Pop up w/Voice- "Avast Virus Database Has Been Updated.")  Avast Free by default checks every four hours for new anti-virus updates.  The new Cloud Services of Avast 7, also provide emergency updates for virus definitions and suspicious files. (i.e Streaming Definition and File Reputation updates) immediately to within a few minutes after release.  These updates are small, but are the cures for emergency malware situations.

Update Program-Set to Ask When Update is Available Provides a pop-up that a new version of the Program is available with new features and bug fixes, when Avast techs feel confident that a new version is ready to be released to the world of Avast users.  Program updates come out in approximate 3-6 month cycles where they will appear inside your Avast GUI (user interface.)  It will say, "A new version of the program is available."  The pop up notice may not appear for weeks to months AFTER the notification in the program GUI, because Avast tries to do everything to make sure that problems will be minimal to non-existent when the Program Update Pop up comes  up in the System Tray.

Critics of Avast 7 saw the pop-up notice was released too fast, within days after Avast 7's general release as opposed to about three weeks to two months for the System Tray Program update pop up for versions 5-6.  When the Avast engineers flip the switch for Program Update notifications, it may take several days to weeks to get yours, based on confidence level in the update from the community and how busy the servers are around the world.  Avast has to release the update to about 170 million people.  When set to "Ask" update program is always optional.

New updates for Virus Definitions are always a part of the program update process.

Jack
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 08:53:15 PM by Jack 1000 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
@ kevbeck
No it isn't normal, however when a program update is done a virus definitions update check is done at the same time.

So are you getting any errors stating that an auto virus definitions update failed ?

What happens when you try a manual virus definitions update ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

FlyingRobot

What is the mechanism for notifying you of definition updates?  Is it a popup that is shown for a short period and then disappears?  IOW, can you miss it?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
It is an audible and visual notification, notifications only remain for a period of time, so if you aren't at the system it may be gone. In which case right click on the avast tray icon and select Show last popup message.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

FlyingRobot

Thanks DavidR.  I see I didn't word that very well, but I think you answered my question.  For about two days I tried avast 6 set to definitions: ask and never saw a notification.  I knew an update had become available so I took a quick look at my sniffer log and saw at least one instance of the program checking for an update at which point I figured the ask notifications probably disappeared like other notifications do and I just must have missed them.  I hate to admit it but the show last popup option flew under my radar.

kevbeck

When there was a 7.0 update, i didnt receive a definition notification and i usually receive atleast 1 notification everyday (green pop-up). I had attempted to update the definition manually and it ended up freezing my avast and making it non responsive.  I was forced to restart my system to ensure it would run normally again. After that i had assumed there was a new program version available because my definitions were not updating and sure enough there was. That is how i noticed that if avast releases a new program version i will not receive definition update notifications and i always check manually for a new prog version if my definitions dont update automatically or receive no alert.

I am not sure if my "non responsive scenario" was a one time thing but to be hassle free, ill just check for a program update when i notice my defs are not updating

It still makes no sense for avast to stop the definition updates when a program release is in effect because as stated above, the program release can be "throttled" or delayed and this means that many users can proceed obliviously without the latest updates for virus definitions.

I would assume there would be a more intuitive way for avast to release program updates and definition updates simultaneously .. or maybe im missing something here.

Jack 1000

It still makes no sense for avast to stop the definition updates when a program release is in effect because as stated above, the program release can be "throttled" or delayed and this means that many users can proceed obliviously without the latest updates for virus definitions.

I don't follow because there are tons of people who choose to still be on Avast 6 and they still get updates because they don't want to upgrade to 7 yet, or they had bad experiences with Avast 7 and are back to Avast 6.  The definitions and the program version update are two separate things.

With regard to the quote above, you are saying that when Avast releses a new program update, "A new program update is available, please update now." pop-up, that you are no longer getting ANY deviation pop up updates, (i.e "Your Virus Definitions Have Been Automatically Updated" simultaneously with the voice, "Ding Ding Ding...Avast Virus Database Has Been Updated" until you update the program?

Something is strange here, because updates are still out for version 5 and 6.  And even old Avast 4 still has definitions on the website.  Have others had this issue? 

I only know that the pop-up notice for new program versions goes out after about a week to maybe a month or more of the new version release, based on customer confidence and server loads around the world.

Not sure, but I think new version pop ups are once every 12-24 hours  following the decision to enable automatic or ask updates for the new version in question.  I think you get them after each reboot, is that right?  Than at random intervals.

I don't think the new program update notices will stop completely until you have updated or set the Program updates to Manual or Auto.  But why should definition checks, every four hours by default or per reboot, as well as Cloud Service Streaming Updates stop, just because you have an older version of the program?

Jack