Author Topic: Avast beats Avira HANDS DOWN!  (Read 9419 times)

RobinHoodSnr

Avast beats Avira HANDS DOWN!
« on: March 23, 2012, 05:44:21 AM »
Hope i'm allowed to post this here, but here goes...
I was a huge fan of Avira for years...till Avast v7 came out...Avira just had TOO many "false positives" ( i'm an "AutoIt-scripter", so you can imagine how i felt writing programs, and after every completion of my utilities ( the programs i wrote ), i get an "Could be infected" pop-up from Avira. Even my PC's SPEED came to about a standstill if i was just running a plain cleaner-program ( Ccleaner )...Also, when Avira detected a "false positive" and i TOLD it that it's "OK"...Avira just WONT remember my last command EVEN after telling it to "ALWAYS REMEMBER"...and after NUMEROUS times telling it that ITS NOT A VIRUS...pop-up just continue for the EXACT SAME CLEAN file ( THIS i must admit, is a HUGE PLUS for Avast...I had 2 files that i KNOW is clean...I told Avast to leave it be and that it's safe...and Avast responded as it should...it didn't bother me again).

Thanks Avast ( and everyone involve )...You guys have a wonderful program...and guess what...I think I'm falling in LOVE with Avast ( and believe you me. As a programmer myself, it takes a LOT before i really like a program as i write my own programs...even some anti-virus one's too ).
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 05:47:24 AM by RobinHoodSnr »

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
Re: Avast beats Avira HANDS DOWN!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 05:57:34 AM »
Thanks Avast ( and everyone involve )...You guys have a wonderful program...and guess what...I think I'm falling in LOVE with Avast ( and believe you me. As a programmer myself, it takes a LOT before i really like a program as i write my own programs...even some anti-virus one's too ).
Well, as I am only a user of Avast!, this is a good thing to hear, from you.

Do you use paid or free?  You should know Avast! does sometimes have FP's, usually are fixed in the next update or so.  Reliable and pretty fast.  So, if a FP happens it usually gets fixed right away.

NP
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

RobinHoodSnr

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 06:02:14 AM »

Do you use paid or free?  You should know Avast! does sometimes have FP's, usually are fixed in the next update or so.  Reliable and pretty fast.  So, if a FP happens it usually gets fixed right away.

NP
Good to hear about Avast's response-time on false positives...I'm using the FREE-version and it suits my situation perfectly. Luckely i'm not a total NOOB with programs or PC's, so believe you me if i tell you...I always recommend "avast" to my customers ( i have a small computer business )...All of my clients now either run Avast free, or the purchased version...

esetantivirus2010

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 06:03:24 AM »
I have avast free but it dont have firewall
so i use comodo firewall with avast
and it is compeletle security.

RobinHoodSnr

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 06:09:01 AM »
I have avast free but it dont have firewall
so i use comodo firewall with avast
and it is compeletle security.

...if you think about it, firewalls basically just block ports...your Windows can do it too ( unless your program has a bit better "control" .ie IN and OUTGOING functions ...or if you have a router with build in security, i just use that) the MAIN thing viruses do nowadays, is actually being ROGUEWARE....and THAT is a bastard to get rid of :(

esetantivirus2010

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 06:09:40 AM »
avast work  with all firewall properly you can test it.
OnLy AvAsT AnTi ViRuS

florin752010

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 06:25:23 PM »
MSE is better than Avast and Avira.

true indian

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 06:28:33 PM »

U better stop coming here if u dont like us and stop making insults.Your replies are being reported like a flood by everybody u dont want to get banned for sure do u  :(

Are u guys sure he isnt nsm0220  8)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 07:09:16 PM »

Well, at least one independent testing organization thinks otherwise:
http://www.westcoastlabs.com/realTimeTesting/article/?articleID=1

BTW 3 weeks ago, they started using Avast 7 (and as you can see, there's some measurable upside).

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

yvesa

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 07:46:47 PM »
Good to hear about Avast's response-time on false positives...I'm using the FREE-version and it suits my situation perfectly. Luckely i'm not a total NOOB with programs or PC's, so believe you me if i tell you...I always recommend "avast" to my customers ( i have a small computer business )...All of my clients now either run Avast free, or the purchased version...

Technically you're not allowed to use the free version since you're running a business  :)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 07:49:01 PM by yvesa »

gdiloren

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 07:47:59 PM »

NP
WAY TO DO IT:
Quarantine the file
Right-click and send to their lab
Wait for next virus definition
Recover file and see if still detected
In this case it's malware
Don't see anything wrong with Avira!!!  8)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 07:53:10 PM »
No need to recover the file from the chest to see if it is still detected, just scan it from within the chest periodically.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

AdrianH

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 08:47:15 PM »

Absolute proof that your statement is wrong  http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/RAP/RAP-quadrant-Aug-Feb12-850.jpg

MSE is good and usful to those that do not want the configuration (or do not understand how to use it) but it is limited and clearly shown on this and other comparitives to be a long way behind other applications.