Author Topic: "Free Antivirus will expire soon"  (Read 5169 times)

lulud

"Free Antivirus will expire soon"
« on: March 13, 2012, 09:05:25 PM »
I keep getting a large popup window exclaiming "Free antivirus will expire soon.  Version is obsolete."  I'm running version 4.8, and am satisfied with it.  The license expires Feb 2013.  I just did a clean install of WinXP, and the message started then.  Can anything be done to stop this annoyance?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: "Free Antivirus will expire soon"
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 09:07:44 PM »
Can anything be done to stop this annoyance?
yes....install latest version

lulud

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 09:23:11 PM »
I prefer version 4.8.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 09:25:06 PM »
updates and support will soon end   ???  in fact it should have so it is running on overtime

lulud

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 09:34:07 PM »
There has been no notification from Avast regarding an end of support and updates.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 09:58:48 PM »
I believe it will be discontinued by the end of this year.

lulud

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 10:26:03 PM »
Until then, how can this infernal annoyance be stopped?

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 01:57:20 AM »
Upgrade to 7.0.1426. The new version is quiet and does the job. Not to mention all the improvements since 4.8.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=95170.msg758853#msg758853  :)

4.8 is getting end of life counseling now as it has become obsolete. Do your computer a favor and upgrade.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Jack 1000

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 02:53:51 AM »
Upgrade to 7.0.1426. The new version is quiet and does the job. Not to mention all the improvements since 4.8.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=95170.msg758853#msg758853  :)

4.8 is getting end of life counseling now as it has become obsolete. Do your computer a favor and upgrade.  :)

I agree!

There are simply too many threats and detections that Avast 4.8 can't do because the technology is so old.  After removing Avast 4.8, you might want to boot into safe mode and uninstall ALL fragments of 4.8.  Here is the tool on how to do that:

http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

Although you MIGHT be able to just update from version 4.8 to 7, I wouldn't recommend it without using the uninstall utility first, because the jumps are like advancing through three universes technology-wise.

Than just get a fresh download from the Avast homepage, www.avast.com  After you have rebooted and it has updated, don't forget to register to get your 12 month license key.  (Right click on ball in System Tray and select Registration.)  Avast now has on-line registration, which version 4.8 does not have.  Although you can still do an e-mail registration if you have problems with the on-line process.

Jack
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 03:27:02 AM by Jack 1000 »

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 02:57:46 AM »
hello, You i would recommend updating to avast 7 if you don't like it you can redownload 4.8 here i think.. http://filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/6635/
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 05:32:47 AM »
@ lulud: at least do a clean install of v4.8 cause Avast! should not be warning u that the license is going to expire when it is still about 1 yr away. (this i think proves something is wrong with ur installation already)

i do recommend to upgrade to v7 cause its lighter on resources compared to v4.8 if u do not want the new technologies, u can always do a custom v7 installation with the very basic components  ;)

Jack 1000

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 07:29:59 AM »
@ lulud: at least do a clean install of v4.8 cause Avast! should not be warning u that the license is going to expire when it is still about 1 yr away. (this i think proves something is wrong with ur installation already)

i do recommend to upgrade to v7 cause its lighter on resources compared to v4.8 if u do not want the new technologies, u can always do a custom v7 installation with the very basic components  ;)

I don't think the OP is getting a license expiration notice though.  It sounds like he is getting a "Your Version is Obsolete Notice" which because it is 4.8 he would be getting.  I second the recommendation of the clean install and version 7 upgrade using the Avast uninstall utility for 4.8, and than getting a fresh download of version 7.

Jack