Author Topic: Requesting Help and Big Guns to Purge Old Laptop Prior to File Transfer  (Read 1502 times)

Dorian Saignren

Hey, the title's pretty weird but here's the skinny.

I just got a new laptop, thing works great, and I don't want that to stop.  I want to transfer files over to it and make it my main computer now.

I'm facing two problems with this though, the first is that the current computer I have has been hit by so many viruses and other problems in the past that I have more corrupted files than I can count (I've been slowly working on getting rid of them and replacing the ones I need but it's a long and tedious job).  Overall, if there's a program out there to help detect corrupted files I'd love to get my hands on it, it won't do the whole job for me but if it could speed it up that would be a huge bonus.  There's alot of crap I don't want or need anymore on here anyways, so either way I'm going to have to manually go through every file I have, re-organize them, and get rid of the shit I don't want to transfer.

The main issue I'm coming on here though is for some help hitting this computer with a fine-toothed comb.  I want to make damn sure that not even the most insignificant spyware, sneakiest root-kit, or most harmless male-ware ever makes it's way onto my new laptop from this thing.  I haven't seen any problems that can't be blamed on corrupted data from previous attacks (or old and slowly dying hardware issues) really, I've seen a few blocked viruses via Avast or Comodo, MBAM has snagged a few things for me too, but in general this computer has been working quite well since the last time I turned to these forums for help.  Still, I don't want something small sneaking onto my new laptop and turning into something big, so I want to hit this thing with everything I can, I'll check it a hundred times if I have to, I don't want a single male-ware to survive through the onslaught.  So basically I'm requesting the big guns and some serious help.  I've got my fingers crossed Essexboy will make an appearance too, he's saved my ass before and worked miracles for me, and without him this computer wouldn't have made it this far lol.  But any help will be appreciated greatly, and I'll use every method given to me to scan or fix problems, just tell me what to do.  Even if I wind up repeating methods, or you think someone else will tell me the same thing, feel free to tell me anyway.  I'll do anything short of a complete wipe, because I do want to salvage as much of my personal data as I can.  The complete wipe will come after I transfer everything lol.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
  I've got my fingers crossed Essexboy will make an appearance too, he's saved my ass before
Then you know the drill....follow guide and attach logs
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0