Author Topic: Saving Avast Versions as Zip Files?  (Read 1972 times)

Jack 1000

Saving Avast Versions as Zip Files?
« on: March 14, 2012, 02:05:16 AM »
When I was backing up my system yesterday, to save space, I put back up versions of Avast 6, and Avast 7 in Zip Folders.  I have my back ups on CD-Rom.  Just want to verify that if I needed to reinstall I could just run the Zip File extractor and than Avast 7 would extract properly and I should be able to re-install it even if it was zipped, correct?

Jack

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Saving Avast Versions as Zip Files?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 02:49:39 AM »
I'm not even sure what it is you are trying to do.

The avast installation files, such as avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe are already compressed, so trying to further compress them is unlikely to save much.

If this is what you are doing then I wouldn't waste any time in truing to run the avast installation file with the zip program, even if it worked it is going to be hampered by the fact that it is on the CD Drive slower than Hard Drive. So just extract the avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe file to the hard drive and install from there.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Jack 1000

Re: Saving Avast Versions as Zip Files?
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 03:32:42 AM »
I'm not even sure what it is you are trying to do.

The avast installation files, such as avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe are already compressed, so trying to further compress them is unlikely to save much.

If this is what you are doing then I wouldn't waste any time in truing to run the avast installation file with the zip program, even if it worked it is going to be hampered by the fact that it is on the CD Drive slower than Hard Drive. So just extract the avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe file to the hard drive and install from there.

Thanks David.

Jack