Author Topic: Huge issues with Avast - need help.  (Read 2152 times)

wilko331984

Huge issues with Avast - need help.
« on: March 14, 2012, 05:25:29 PM »
Today i have started up my laptop to find that Avast was no longer working because of a "side by side Config" error.

Tried restarting and still nothing. So decided to uninstall and reinstall. The problem is now that i cannot get it to install at all. It just keeps going through the process and at the end just a big red cross saying something went wrong.

I've used the uninstall tool in safe mode and also tried installing something temporary (AVG) but it is doing exactly the same thing now.

How can i fix this because i now have no protection from anything?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Huge issues with Avast - need help.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 06:27:14 PM »
Some info about your system would be helpful (and other sercurity installed ) also what AV were you using befor avast and how did you remove?

wilko331984

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 07:19:34 PM »
I've got a Sony Vaio laptop. Pretty standard running Vista.

The AV i was using was avast, i have been using it for 3 years now. I reinstalled Windows on the laptop the other day to clear out everything on it and added Avast with no problems. 3 days later and all of a sudden this happens? I havent downloaded anything else before then and only used it for ebay. It has just happened out of the blue this morning.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 07:43:22 PM »
Did you have all windows updates installed, mainly SP2 ? all i can say is try running the removal tool in safe mode again for all versions of avast that have ever been installed, then reinstall avast 7.0.1426.

Make sure to uninstall avg first then run there removal tool http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/ number 2 in the list and reboot before installing avast.

wilko331984

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 07:53:41 PM »
Yeah, i tried all that but nothing has changed? The log that i got had something in it about ashbase.dll not loading. That was all that looked suspicious. It's driving me mad because i have never had a problem with it? The return code i have is 0x0000007e (The module could not be found)

All updates have been done too i forgot to add.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 08:00:41 PM by wilko331984 »