Author Topic: Scheduled scans - over-enthusiasm  (Read 10816 times)

Telegraph_Sam

Scheduled scans - over-enthusiasm
« on: March 14, 2012, 10:52:23 PM »
Some time back I set up a one-off scheduled scan and ticked the box to shut down the system on completion automatically.  Since then Avast insists on repeating the process at the same time each week even though I have checked and rechecked the settings - Schedule type = Once and the date is showing 10 March (it happened this evening 14 March).  How can I get the system to obey instructions?  Avast free on Windows XP Home

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Scheduled scans - over-enthusiasm
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 03:31:58 PM »
Have you tried to completely un-schedule the scan? Personally I never schedule any scan. I do a full scan once a week and a couple of
quick scans between each full scan.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Gargamel360

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 03:39:00 PM »
Well, first (if you have not already) I would check if your system date/time is okay.   That would be about the only normal thing I could think of that would cause this.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 05:19:08 PM »
Well, first (if you have not already) I would check if your system date/time is okay.   That would be about the only normal thing I could think of that would cause this.
Even if the date/time was incorrect the scan should not have ran more than once. Or am I wrong?  ???
I'm now thinking maybe the OP should "un-schedule" the scan then try to "re-schedule" the scan to see if they get the same reaction.
Anyway I hope the OP reports back.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

Telegraph_Sam

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 05:23:20 PM »
System date / time syncs with my watch so should be OK.  With hindsight I suppose I was simple enough to assume that when the settings box says "once" in binary it means  "once" and not "weekly".  May be one of the Avast programmers can pick this up and sort it.  I find that getting the system to scan last thing at night and then shut down is very convenient - but not if it is going to switch me off when it feels like it.  Hopefully resetting to never will cure this.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 05:39:41 PM »
I'm still curious, have you tried to un-schedule then re-schedule to see if you get the same results?  ???
If this is a one time event then something other than avast is the root cause.  :)

Telegraph_Sam

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 07:06:26 PM »
I have not yet unscheduled but will do so.  However your curiosity will have to wait until Wed 21st evening UK time to find out if the Avast ghost  returns on "schedule" to turn my PC off again ..

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 08:33:18 PM »
I have not yet unscheduled but will do so.  However your curiosity will have to wait until Wed 21st evening UK time to find out if the Avast ghost  returns on "schedule" to turn my PC off again ..
I can wait. I'm following this thread via notification.  :)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 09:39:33 PM »
I'm going to test this, but if you have set to fire once, it should have a specific date and time for that once to run. I have set it for 21:00 on 17/03/2012 in just over 20 minutes time. We will have to see if it generates any ghost scans at 21:00 after that.

EDIT: I have also set it to wake up the system to start the scan just in case I'm away.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 09:41:09 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 10:18:31 PM »
I'm doing the same thing!  :)

Edit: I'm going to check to see if any ghosts show up over the next few days.  ???
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 10:37:33 PM by Para-Noid »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 01:08:43 AM »
It's been three days since I tried to replicate the OP's issue. And could not do so.  :)
avast did what it is designed to do.  :)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 01:13:31 AM »
No replication here, but I rather think we will have to wait a week at least, given that is the frequency the OP is experiencing.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 10:30:39 PM »
+1

Telegraph_Sam

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 08:00:13 PM »
I can now report back to all you interested and helpful people.
I checked at the weekend (and again now) that the box to schedule a scan was unticked - the text was greyed out as you would expect and the scan date that could still just be read was 10 March.
To my great surprise right on weekly unofficial schedule last night 21 March the pop-up screen appeared alerting me that a scan had been completed and was about to close down the system unless I cancelled this within the time limit.  On this occasion I was able to abort the shutdown but only because I had  been anticipating it.
Either there must be a bug that overrides the unschedule procedure, or there must be some additional secret procedure that I am missing but which is required to keep Avast in its box when not scheduled.
Help!

Telegraph_Sam

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 08:03:54 PM »
PS Avast Version I am using is 6.0.1203.  Having read some corresp in the forum I don't want to upgrade to 7 until I am sure that all the bugs have been sorted out. Windows XP Home.