Author Topic: Avast Autosandbox  (Read 9972 times)

naren17

Re: Avast Autosandbox
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2012, 06:08:12 PM »
No I didn't say that apps can be run in sandbox and not terminated in Ask mode, all that Ask mode does is take away the decision if the app should be run/tested by the autosandbox, primarily so that the user can elect to run it outside of the autosandbox.

Anything in Ask Mode run in the sandbox will run virtualised (a Red Border round the Window), so any interactions made or changes, etc. will be lost as the sandbox is wiped when closed. You can't elect to always run this program sandboxed, but when you try to run it the autosandbox would butt in, if you have it set to Ask you can run it sandboxed or outside of it normally (that choice can be remembered), but it still runs through the analysis process.

The Auto Mode just elects to run it sandboxed to do its analysis, this displays a pop-up (see attached image) once it has analysed the program it will notify you of the finding, image2. If at this point you can select how the next execution is handled (sandboxed or normally),  but it still runs through the analysis process and the program terminated at the end of the analysis if you selected run sandboxed.

So in choosing Ask Mode, there appears to be an anomaly (which I believe wasn't intended to be in the free version) where it will actually run the program sandboxed - personally, even if it doesn't terminate an application there really is little point in running it sandboxed as when closed everything is history. Any interaction or changes made when running the application are lost. Where in the Full sandbox feature in the Pro and AIS have other settings for running programs like browsers sandboxed and still have some of the changes, etc. saved.

Yes actually that part I was confused coz different reply were there.

But it seems that in ask mode the app can be run sandboxed as you have mentioned too.

Anyway later I am going to test Avast Free again with autosandbox in ask mode & see what actually happens.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 06:10:35 PM by naren17 »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012, 06:12:27 PM »
Okay, so how do I set this avast 7.0.1426 Sandbox to Ask Mode.
I can't even find any Sandbox Settings.

All I know is that now every time that I bring up PortableApps.com, the Sandbox pops up and I'm not even given a chance to select "Remember my selection for this App" or whatever the previous avast used to say.

Couldn't be easier, avastUI, Additional Protection, AutoSandbox, Settings.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2012, 09:08:18 PM »
Ahhh, the ole hidden in plain sight trick, huh?  ;D
Okay, I set it to Ask now.

I tested it by bringing up PortableApps.com IrfanView and it did now go back to working like the avast 6.x Sandbox.
This time I WAS given the chance to select "Remember my selection for this App" or whatever it says.  Cool.

Thanks, David.
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2012, 09:37:20 PM »
You're welcome.

Yes hidden in plain sight, most people would consider it another shield (rather than an extension of other shields, file system shield) is which is why you didn't find it in the real-time shields.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

naren17

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2012, 01:57:28 PM »
OK, tested today with default autosandbox & set to ask.

Default - analysis & terminates the apps & cant be run sandboxed whether first time or next time or any time.

ask - popup is there & the recommended is run in sandbox & if selected the apps runs in sandbox with a red border. No automatic termination & no analysis window.

I think the apps should be allowed to run in sandbox in default settings as the sandbox is full virtualization & not limited rights thing so no harm to the system & thats the main benefit & use of sandbox or full virtualization.

If there is autosandbox & its a full sandbox then running apps in autosandbox should be allowed. Offcoz what apps should run & is suspicious  should be decided by Avast as it is now. For running selected apps in sandbox Avast Pro is there but what Avast decides should be autosandboxed atleast those apps should be allowed to run in sandbox in default settings in Avast free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2012, 02:17:18 PM »
The full sandbox are for the paid version, there have to be differences or what incentive is there to purchase the Pro/AIS applications. The programmers have to eat too, so if you feel that sandboxing is so important them you could purchase the Pro/AIS versions.

As has been said the autosandbox isn't anything other than an analysis tool over and above normal virus signatures to be used when files that although considered suspicious aren't detected by conventional signature. The fact there appears to be a happy coincidence that in Ask Mode, it may be possible to run the app sandboxed.

But I would advise not to make such a big deal of this or who knows the developers may close that hole.

naren17

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2012, 11:56:15 AM »
Well, I made my point.

This thread can be closed now.