Instead of a hard reset, you can try to uninstall it first.
To unistall avast! just follow steps below (note that if you have set avast! Anti-theft as a device admin then uninstallation will not work for Anti-theft):
- Open 'Settings' from All Apps screen in your Android phone.
- Select the option 'Applications', then 'Manage Applications'.
- Select the option with disguise-name (custom application name) you chose for avast! Anti-Theft during the installation process.
- On the next screen 'Uninstall' and then 'OK' to confirm uninstallation of disguised avast! Anti-Theft.
- Once the uninstallation of avast! Anti-Theft is complete select 'OK' to get back to Manage Applications screen.
Select the option 'avast! Mobile Security'.
On te next screen 'Uninstall' and then 'OK' to confirm unistallation of disguised avast! Anti-Theft.
Once the uninstallation of avast! Free Mobile Security is complete select 'OK' to get back to Manage Applications screen.
Just make sure to uninstall both parts in order to remove the password protection.