Author Topic: WIN7 Firewall VS Avast 7 Firewall  (Read 5018 times)

Seany007

WIN7 Firewall VS Avast 7 Firewall
« on: March 17, 2012, 03:01:44 PM »
Just wanted to ask you guys which firewall you think is better Windows 7 or Avast 7? Plus with Comodo say you get in 'action center' notification that it works instead of WIN7 but with Avast 7 Firewall you don't get any and 'action center' say you are not protected turn on the firewall with Avast 7 Firewall running why is that?

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: WIN7 Firewall VS Avast 7 Firewall
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 01:49:28 AM »
Windows firewall and avast firewall play well with each other. I'm not sure when it comes to Comodo Firewall, but Online Armor automatically turns Windows firewall "off". If you plan on using avast firewall you can leave the Windows firewall "on". I use OA Free and had to make the mutual exclusions. Whereas with avast and Windows no exclusions are necessary.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 02:02:09 AM »
There is no comparison between the avast firewall and the windows7 firewall, like comparing apples and oranges.

The avast firewall was designed to be compatible with the windows 7 firewall, so it can be left on.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 03:57:18 AM »
And avast firewall uses a silent technology, you don't even have to bother about it when it's on ;)

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 04:46:33 AM »
Just wanted to ask you guys
which firewall you think is better Windows 7 or Avast 7?
Plus with Comodo say you get in 'action center' notification that it works instead of WIN7 but with Avast 7 Firewall you don't get any and 'action center' say you are not protected turn on the firewall with Avast 7 Firewall running why is that?

To answer your question EXACTLY as YOU asked it!!

Avast 7 is absolutely a better firewall then windows 7 ( PERIOD ).

Now like others have mentioned it seems to be just fine to leave them both on at the same time.

miscreant

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 10:19:59 AM »
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755158%28WS.10%29.aspx

"In Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7, Windows Firewall with Advanced Security enables more specific disabling of its features through published application program interface (API) calls. When a third-party firewall program is installed, the installer can disable only those portions of Windows Firewall with Advanced Security that conflict with the services that are provided by the third-party program. Other Windows Firewall with Advanced Security services are left enabled, and continue to help protect your computer."

So essentially avast firewall can work fine with windows firewall assuming that avasts (or any other third party)firewall installer has been written correctly .Personally i would not run two firewalls as theres less chance of any conflict,and im not sure what advantage there would be,unless the third party firewall is lacking in some features and would be therefore enhanced by the running of windows firewall.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 02:08:40 AM »
The fact still remains that Windows and avast firewalls do "not" conflict with one another. Therefore both may be left on.
Now if any user uses a third party firewall ie; Comodo, Outpost, Private Firewall or Online Armor mutual exclusions must be made.
No "mutual" exclusions are necessary when using avast firewall and Windows Firewall in tandem.  :)

Both may be left "on" without any adverse affects.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

hlecter

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 03:07:11 AM »
Just wanted to ask you guys which firewall you think is better Windows 7 or Avast 7?

That depends on the meaning of the best FW.

I haven't tried Avast 7 firewall, but I have set up win 7 firewall with outbound protection
on one of my machines. That took me a really long time and is a very user-unfriendly task.

As I understand it Avast 7 FW is pretty much set and forget, so what to choose?

I'm used to ZA firewall on XP so from ZA to win 7 firewall was indeed a big difference and very time-consuming to set up.

Concerning your question about running both Avast 7 FW and Win 7 firewall at the same time, it has been answered,
but I don't see what your benefits would be. Using both the mentioned firewalls will not increase your  protection.

And,  if you are behind a router you will get still another layer of inbound protection.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 03:37:38 AM by curious! »