Author Topic: Avast BSOD windows 7 64 bit  (Read 6777 times)

callous

Avast BSOD windows 7 64 bit
« on: March 19, 2012, 12:23:55 AM »
Avast will cause windows to BSOD if the files inside the Avast directory are missing.  I dont think this is proper, as 90% of us do not know how to get into Safe Mode to uninstall then reinstall Avast.  If one pressed the F8 too slowly, then the Safe Mode option is not even there, leading to unnecessary format of the harddrive to reinstall the OS.

Dual OS booting is not usual, and sometimes one will by mistake install avast from one os into the same directory as another OS, leading to a BSOD on Windows 7 when booting up.

This should be fixed.  There is no legitmate reason to let one program like avast bring down a whole OS. 

I like someone to look into this and make sure Avast cannot by accident cause BSOD when booting into Windows when some or all files in the avast directory are altered or missing by mistake.  This is the part where a program should be user-friendly and user-tolerant. 

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Avast BSOD windows 7 64 bit
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 01:41:20 AM »
What exactly do you mean by "if files inside the avast directory are missing"?
You mean after uninstallation, or have you disabled the self-defense and manually corrupted avast! installation on purpose (in which case, when you have rights for that, you don't have just to remove the files, but you can simply modify the files - e.g. to cause a BSOD), or what exact situation/files are we talking about?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 01:43:57 AM by igor »

callous

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 07:02:40 AM »
If i dualboot into xp on same computer, then erase the avast directory by mistake, or by mistake install a dif versoin of avast into the avast directory of Win7, then I get BSOD when trying to boot into Win7

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 07:28:14 AM »
As you mentioned this is a mistake on "your part" and not avast's, dont delet the directory and dont install multiple different versions ::)

callous

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 06:16:13 PM »
You still dont get it, do you.

Dual booting is common.  Mistakes can be made.  You make a lofty assumption that avast directory will NEVER be deleted under any circumstances, then proceed to assume that if it does get deleted a BSOD isnt a fault of Avast.

Now i want to know, do you work for avast as programmer, or are you just some guy at babysitting the forums over at avast. 

BSOD is utterly unacceptable for any program.  It is the same thing as saying avast brought down the OS which it did.  Do not say to me that a user fault caused a bsod.  It is crappy programming that lead to it.  Wake up.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 06:23:45 PM »
Well, dual booting is certainly not "common" - that's just ridiculous :)
Anyway, if you have any dumps from those bluescreens, please upload them to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming
Thanks.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 06:38:09 PM »
Do not say to me that a user fault caused a bsod.  It is crappy programming that lead to it.  Wake up.
Of course not, users never cause system problems  :-X

callous

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 03:34:14 PM »
If i delete part of my firewall directory or all of it, it does NOT BSOD my system.  In fact no program should ever bsod an OS upon bootup.  That is my point.

Get off your high horse.  Avast should have tested this more thoroughly.  And if malware deletes part or all of AVast then what?  The users cannot boot into windows, and they wind up blaming Avast.

No course it could NEVER happen.  What do u 2 know exacdtly.  Are you both programmers?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 03:39:46 PM by callous »

callous

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 03:39:04 PM »
Well, dual booting is certainly not "common" - that's just ridiculous :)
Anyway, if you have any dumps from those bluescreens, please upload them to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming
Thanks.

You mean YOU dont dual boot.  Do not imply others do not.  There are enough dual booters out there that this should be seriously looked into. 

Does 1 program commonly bring down an OS during boot up?  No of course not...  Avast would be one of the very few.  I guess that doesnt matter since you are such a fan of this thing.  Maybe as test I should go install AVG and try the same thing.  I would bet it  does not BSOD during bootup if AVG files are missing.

Then what?  Will Avast look into it or assume that missing files should never happen so it shouldnt fix it? 

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 03:47:06 PM »
No, I mean dual boot is rare. I am not saying it doesn't exist, but it's certainly not "common".
I'm also not saying the BSODs shouldn't be fixed if changes to avast! installation folder could cause them, but the priority isn't that critical because of the rare circumstances.

Anyway, I asked you about the exact files you removed, and also for the BSOD dumps. Can you help with any of these questions?
If not, then please keep your insults for yourself, they are not really welcome here.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 04:12:17 PM by igor »

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 04:21:20 PM »
@callous: sry but BSODs are as common if not more common than ppl with duel boot across all kinds of programmes.

moreover, the fact that ur tempering with Avast urself then blaming Avast for damaging ur computer is utterly unfair to Avast...

it is equivalent to saying. eg. i buy a waterproof bag, i cut a hole in the bag, my books get damaged when it rains due to the hole that i created in the bag.
amazingly, i blame the manufacturer of the bag for damaging my books because i damage the bag!!!

please mind ur tone on this forum or please leave the forum

btw, igor is part of Avast team, of course he knows a lot about Avast.

edit: since igor said it is valid, u should try to reproduce the bugs and send it to the ftp as igor suggested. that way, u can help Avast improve instead of carrying on with insults which gets nobody anywhere...
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 05:02:19 PM by AntiVirusASeT »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 04:40:30 PM »
Well, the dual boot argument is valid - the user might install avast! into the same folder from both the OSes (even though I believe the installer should warn about installing the second one into a non-empty folder), and strange things may happen after that. A bluescreen in that situation should be avoidable, strange things happening... not really, cause the program may be in a non-consistent state.

I'm only asking for some relevant technical information, instead of speculations.