Author Topic: Avast 7 upgrade is a disaster  (Read 2627 times)

Packidge

Avast 7 upgrade is a disaster
« on: March 22, 2012, 08:42:14 AM »
I've been using Avast since 2004 and never had any problems before now.

Yesterday I allowed it to upgrade to Version 7 on my XP Pro system, something which normally takes just a few minutes while I carry on working. This time however, I wasted my entire afternoon trying (unsuccesfully) to get version 7 to work.

Firstly, it installed Google Chrome without even asking my permission and then after I closed the Chrome welcome screen on reboot the computer froze - not even task manager would open!

I tried a system restore but that left Avast in an "inconsistent state" so I booted in safe mode, removed Avast with the removal tool and then did a fresh install (without Chrome). Same problem - the system hung again.

Another boot into safe mode, removed Avast again and installed AVG instead..

My computer now works though I would have preferred to carry on using Avast it seems that option no longer works for me.

I just wonder where QC were when this upgrade shipped?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast 7 upgrade is a disaster
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 03:32:08 PM »
Well, now that you've get out of avast! is difficult to troubleshoot.
There are some users with upgrade the program. Which was your avast! old version? v.5 v.6 ?
If you want to test it again, I suggest:

AVG Remover can be downloaded here: http://www.avg.com/download-tools
Then:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. (Optional) If you want, save your avast! settings for later restoration (Settings > Maintenance > Back up).
4. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
5. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1 in Safe Mode. Boot after you've run it. Repeat this for any major avast! version you have ever installed/upgraded in your computer.
6. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
7. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro. Or even upgrade your key from old versions.
8. Check and post the results. If, for any reason, you did not solve, try doing the step 3 in Safe Mode anyway.
The best things in life are free.

Packidge

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 01:41:47 PM »
Thank you for your suggestions.

I was using the latest version of Avast 6 before upgrading to Avast 7. Since I started using Avast in 2004 all upgrades have gone very smoothly, one could say imperceptibly. I was a fan of Avast. I recommended it to lots of people.

With the update to Avast 7 this happy state changed. I was delivered Google Chrome which I didn't want and an update which hung my system. I don't have time to troubleshoot the problem I just need my system work and to be protected.

AVG does not impress me but it worked first time and ergo so does my computer.

When I have time to spare I will follow your suggestions to try and get Avast working again but you have to understand that customers are prepared to invest their time when they make a decision to move but NOT when they stay!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 02:26:02 PM »
Packidge, sorry for your experience. But, of course, we want it have been smoothly and not a pain...
If we can help troubleshoot, let us know ;)
The best things in life are free.