Author Topic: Avast 7.0.1426 has real problems  (Read 24833 times)

blakelylaw

Re: Avast 7.0.1426 has real problems
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2012, 07:05:54 PM »
I absolutely, whole-heartedly agree with gotty. I just wasted over 6-hrs. of my time and my husband's (he's my office IT person) at the office trying to figure out what was wrong with the system! - on a day when we should have left to go out of town between 6 & 8 a.m.

Everything was fine last night. Some time in middle of night, my Avast updated to7.0.1426. When I got up, my computer was cludgy, with all of the mouse problems gotty described. After rebooting, the mouse problem resolved itself & so did the general cludginess to some extent; however, although it said I had an internet connection, I was obviously not getting out on net. When the basics didn't work (going from wireless to ethernet, resetting router, switching to our portable Verizon router, etc.), I got hubby involved because I figured the problem was elsewhere in system (we run independent firewall, etc.) It never dawned on me that it might be Avast because I've used it for years & had never had any problems. When everything was exhausted, he told me to shut down my firewall & Avast. Quickly realized it was the Avast.

Then I started turning off the individual portions of it. The problem is the Mail Shield & Web Shield. From there, I'm still stumped. Regardless of which of the individual portions of the shield I activate or de-activate, I have no internet access so long as those shields are up. Only when they are totally de-activated can I get out. Running without the anti-virus shield, especially regarding my e-mail is unacceptable. Any ideas anyone.

I run Windows 7, Home, 6-bit; latest versions of Firefox & Earthlink. I also run Chrome at times (same problems there.)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2012, 07:39:31 PM »
I have no internet access so long as those shields are up.
Which is your firewall?
The best things in life are free.

blakelylaw

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2012, 10:00:39 PM »

Which is your firewall?
[/quote]

I use Online Armor. It is up & running & there is no problem with. As I stated, nothing happened until the Avast was updated. Everything had been working perfectly in sync until then. So long as the two portions of Avast are disabled, everything is working again.

cloudlicker

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2012, 11:38:08 PM »
Updated Avast, then PC freezing on startup. Restart, freeze again. Tried a system restore (Windows XP Professional) , PC no longer froze but Avast icon had X on it stating that program was not running. Tried restarting Avast but no response. Knew it had to be the update so went hunting and found this forum. Posters suggested going back to previous version.
Download previous version. Restart PC. Go to remove/add programs and try to remove Avast so I could install previous version. No joy, refuses to uninstall with an error stating unable to continue.
Go to programs and manually delete Avast folder.

Try to restart. No luck. Endless loop of restarts. Restart in safe mode and that works but-- no restore (nothing happens when I click on system restore). No internet connection (non connection screen and empty network connection folder).

I'm flucked. Thanks guys. Looks like a windows reinstall and hours and hours and hours of work. Will use windows essentials from now on.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2012, 11:43:35 PM »
Download aswClear - go to safe mode and run it from there, uninstall all versions of Avast (4,5,6,7)
Reboot and then reinstall V7
http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

cloudlicker

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2012, 12:22:35 AM »
Download aswClear - go to safe mode and run it from there, uninstall all versions of Avast (4,5,6,7)
Reboot and then reinstall V7

Dude. You are the man. Worked perfectly and I can't thank you enough. I never would have thought to do anything like that and you saved me a ton of work. Owe you a beer or two.
Still can't trust Avast anymore though.

blakelylaw

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2012, 02:28:31 PM »
(nothing happens when I click on system restore).

In my original rant, I forgot to note, that in addition to everything else, it also screwed up my system restore.

Yappy

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2012, 02:59:17 PM »
Updated Avast, then PC freezing on startup. Restart, freeze again. Tried a system restore (Windows XP Professional) , PC no longer froze but Avast icon had X on it stating that program was not running. Tried restarting Avast but no response. Knew it had to be the update so went hunting and found this forum. Posters suggested going back to previous version.
Download previous version. Restart PC. Go to remove/add programs and try to remove Avast so I could install previous version. No joy, refuses to uninstall with an error stating unable to continue.
Go to programs and manually delete Avast folder.

Try to restart. No luck. Endless loop of restarts. Restart in safe mode and that works but-- no restore (nothing happens when I click on system restore). No internet connection (non connection screen and empty network connection folder).

I'm flucked. Thanks guys. Looks like a windows reinstall and hours and hours and hours of work. Will use windows essentials from now on.

I had the same problem, had to reinstall Windows. I'll give Avast another chance because of essexboy's "aswClear" link. Hopefully Avast won't have problems like this one in the future.

skay_baltimore

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2012, 10:00:35 PM »
Is there any way we can revert to an earlier version?
Use the Avast uninstaller tool ascwclear.exe in safe mode (Restart, press F8, then select Safe Mode):

Then download and install avast 6.0.1367:

http://www.oldapps.com/avast_antivirus.php?old_avast=6918

gotty

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2012, 10:11:09 PM »
Mine works perfectly,,  sorry,  but the problem must be on your end.

That one person's works perfectly does not mean that the problem is not with the software! The vast majority of software
bugs affect only some users.

If software companies dismissed a bug simply because one person says it works fine (or even thousands of people say it works fine) then we'd have a lot of very buggy software everywhere.

gotty

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2012, 10:12:08 PM »
Try resetting the Windows Firewall to default settings .

They are already on default settings. This is a software bug in Avast.

gotty

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2012, 10:15:26 PM »
Except that v7 is in use on millions of machines without any issue at all.

Maybe ... but how many machines are having problems? Nobody has any idea at all and, by the number of reports I've read today, and the number of machines I've had to deal with, the percentage is rather high.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2012, 10:19:59 PM »
Don't lose sight of the fact that this is a support site, so you don't see them queueing up to report no problems.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2012, 10:35:18 PM »
Except that v7 is in use on millions of machines without any issue at all.

Maybe ... but how many machines are having problems? Nobody has any idea at all and, by the number of reports I've read today, and the number of machines I've had to deal with, the percentage is rather high.

"the percentage is rather high"......Compared to what?? :)

I've tested and used alot of Security Programs over the years, and without exception, all "New Versions" with significant changes have bugs for some users, always. ;)

jjb2012

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2012, 12:02:11 AM »
It works fine at my work computer but boinked one of my older PCs at home. That PC was very reliable and had never BSOD until Avast 7. Coincidence? I uninstalled Avast 7 and use MSE until the bugs are worked out. Better safe than sorry.

And I've used and promoted Avast for 10 years so I am a big fan.