Other > Viruses and worms

Win32: Vitro, is it gone??

<< < (2/3) > >>

Pondus:
if you had Virut avast should detected it......and if it was spreading inside your comp avast would go bananas with multiple alarms

handsup:
Thank you so much for your help. This forum is brilliant! And I'm definitely sticking with Avast from now on (Damn MSE!!!)

I just have one further question out of interest, if I never knew there was a virus hidden in a .exe file on my computer but never opened that file, does that mean the virus would never do any harm?

Basically I'm just wondering, can a virus still spread and do harm to your computer if I never actually open the .exe file its hidden in?

Pondus:

--- Quote ---Basically I'm just wondering, can a virus still spread and do harm to your computer if I never actually open the .exe file its hidden in?
--- End quote ---
nope...you need to run it. as long as it just stay there or is inside a zip file it is dormant...waithing for somone to unzip and click the exe..and then   :-[

however infected website is different...but you have avast, and avast speciality is to detect infected website...at this avast and Sucuri is best

handsup:
Thank you so much for your help and advice! I never realised that about needing to open the file so that is such a relief!!

Actually one further question if thats ok?!

When running the boot scan I also got these messages :

1  File C:\ProgramData\Apple Computer\Installer Cache\iTunes 10.6.0.40\Itunes64.msil>iTunes.cabl>iTunes.exe  is infected by Win32:Malware-gen

2  File C:\ProgramData\Apple Computer\Installer Cache\iTunes 10.6.0.40\iTunes64.msil>iTunes.cabl>iTunesHelper.exe is infected by Win32:Trojan-gen
3  File C:\Windows\Installer\2288cc.msil>iTunes.cabl>iTunes.exe is infected by win32:Malware-gen

But when I tried to repair, move to chest or delete it said Error 42111{The operation is not supported for this type of archive.}

essexboy:
They are possible false positives, and as they are cabinet files then they can do nothing untill they are opened

You dodged the bullet big time there by not running the file

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version