Author Topic: help with uninstall 5.1.889 and install new avast?  (Read 4632 times)

eastwick56

help with uninstall 5.1.889 and install new avast?
« on: March 26, 2012, 04:14:02 PM »
I'm not technical and need some help please. Avast 5.1.889 will expire in a few days and I did a clean install last year but forget how to do it.
1.  Which version of aswClear should I download to my desktop?
2.  Do I download the newest avast version to my desktop also before I uninstall the old version?
3.  Should I uninstall old version in safe mode then shut down my computer and then restart in safe mode to install the new version?
4. I don't know what the P2P Shield does so what exactly is it? Can I choose to not install it and any other shields that I don't need? No one uses my computer except me.
5. I have Windows XP SP2, Windows Firewall, Malwarebytes, CCleaner, and Spywareblaster so do any of these things conflict with avast and cause any problems?  Thanks for any EASY help because I'm not technical!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: help with uninstall 5.1.889 and install new avast?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 04:18:27 PM »
5. I have Windows XP SP2...

If this is a 32bit system please update to SP3..!!
Is this a Free, Pro or IS version of avast!..??
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 04:22:56 PM »
Which version of aswClear should I download to my desktop?
the one and only.....you find avast versions in aswClear dropp down menu read the instructions on website  http://www.avast.com/en-eu/uninstall-utility

Do I download the newest avast version to my desktop also before I uninstall the old version?
you may do that

I don't know what the P2P Shield does so what exactly is it? Can I choose to not install it and any other shields that I don't need? No one uses my computer except me.
yes you may uninstall shields not used.
 what they are fore...see avast help file in avast top right corner........or here  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avast!

5. I have Windows XP SP2, Windows Firewall, Malwarebytes, CCleaner, and Spywareblaster so do any of these things conflict with avast and cause any problems?
you dont need spywareblaster with the latest browsers

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 04:29:45 PM »
I'm not technical and need some help please. Avast 5.1.889 will expire in a few days and I did a clean install last year but forget how to do it.
1.  Which version of aswClear should I download to my desktop? -(  The version available now will uninstall all versions http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility )
2.  Do I download the newest avast version to my desktop also before I uninstall the old version?  -( It would be better and safer. )
3.  Should I uninstall old version in safe mode then shut down my computer and then restart in safe mode to install the new version? -( Try to uninstall normally first then clean up in safe mode. )
4. I don't know what the P2P Shield does so what exactly is it? Can I choose to not install it and any other shields that I don't need? No one uses my computer except me.( It monitors peer to peer programs such as Utorrent, Vuze etc, you dont have to have it if you dont use peer software but if it's not running it wont use any resources, choosing custom install will allow you to untick options you dont want. )
5. I have Windows XP SP2, Windows Firewall, Malwarebytes, CCleaner, and Spywareblaster so do any of these things conflict with avast and cause any problems?  Thanks for any EASY help because I'm not technical! -( Preferably you should have SP3 installed first but avast does work with SP2, all other programs are fine  :) )

Same as what Pondus said  ;)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 04:31:45 PM by craigb »

eastwick56

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 06:48:21 PM »
It's XP 32 bit so will the current avast work on that without problems?

PLEASE do not suggest Service Pack 3...I had major problems with it and WILL NOT ever install it again.
Is there a conflict with avast and Service Pack 2?

Again, can someone please answer my questions about step by step instructions to uninstall, install, safe mode please???
Thanks!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 06:55:31 PM »
1. PLEASE do not suggest Service Pack 3...I had major problems with it and WILL NOT ever install it again.
Is there a conflict with avast and Service Pack 2?

2. Again, can someone please answer my questions about step by step instructions to uninstall, install, safe mode please???
Thanks!

1. Well, the best AV can't protect you, if you use an outdated OS, but OK it's up to you anyway.
2. Sure, if you answer my question from: Reply #1
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

eastwick56

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 07:52:06 PM »
I have FREE avast.

Is it a "custom"  install choice if I don't want P2P and others shields?
Which shields do I really need if I am the only person using my PC and only use it for the internet and email? I notice when I disable any shields, my pc runs very slow and avast keeps warning me (on current version from last year) that I disabled shileds.
Thanks!

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 08:11:23 PM »
Yes you use the custom install to choose what shields you do and dont want, you can also go into remove programs and click on avast as to uninstall at a later date and choose to re-install the features if you want them back.
I think you should leave all the shields but it is entirely up to you what shields you dont want, if your not using Peer to Peer or instant messaging then you could probably not install the P2P and IM shields.
You should first try to uninstall normally first then run the removal tool in safe mode then reboot back to normal mode and install your new copy of avast ( dont install in safe mode )

eastwick56

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 09:31:31 PM »
So I do the following? Is this correct?

1. download aswClear to my desktop (in case I need it).
2. download latest version of avast to my desktop.
3. uninstall old avast version with ADD/REMOVE programs in control panel in NORMAL MODE and not in safe mode?
4. then last, install new avast version from desktop in NORMAL MODE?

Thank you very much for your help!

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 09:43:17 PM »
So I do the following? Is this correct?

1. download aswClear to my desktop (in case I need it).
2. download latest version of avast to my desktop.
3. uninstall old avast version with ADD/REMOVE programs in control panel in NORMAL MODE and not in safe mode?
4. then last, install new avast version from desktop in NORMAL MODE?

Thank you very much for your help!
Yes to all except after deleting avast in normal mode then reboot to safe mode and run the removal tool to delet remnants of avast followed by rebooting back to normal and install the new avast copy.