Author Topic: VPN Connection Issues  (Read 2038 times)

Skroob

VPN Connection Issues
« on: March 26, 2012, 09:41:25 PM »
Good afternoon!

I've been running AIS for some time now and have recently run into a snafu. The short of my problem is that I have been using the windows VPN client to connect to work for a few years now along with Avast. At some point within the last few weeks this has stopped working.  I could describe it more in essay form, but instead I'll break it down in the list forms that techies like us love so much!

• OS: Win7 x64 Prof, SP1. Last updated 3/20/2012, Lats update check 3/28/2012 5am EST
  • AV: Avast! version: 7.0.1462, definitions: 120326-1
  • Other AV/Firewall:None, other than the stock MSFT programs.
  • Problem:Unable to connect to work VPN using default windows client, gets stuck at authenticating password.
  • Workaround: Able to connect if firewall is turned off in 'Firewall Settings'. Turning this back on stops all traffic while still connected to the VPN.
  • Problem started: Not quite sure, as I only use the VPN to get in more work time when team proposals are due. Within the last month surely. I do know that when this problem started I was using version 6. I upgraded to version 7 this morning hoping that it would remedy the issue.
  • Attempts to fix: I keep my AIS install pretty plane-jane as I find most of the stock settings more than adequate.  I have attempted the fix in the avast knowledge base found here, despite that it was made for Version 5, I figured it was worth a try.  Also as mentioned earlier I upgraded hoping the new version would help.

Below is a snapshot of my packet settings. I have attempted variations with just ESP, just AH, both, none, and the default ESP with just 'Out' and no IP address. I tried AH out because I'm not quite sure if work uses that, nonetheless it didn't work either way.

I'm not sure what updated or what I may have changed to cause this issue.  Any help I may get to remedy this situation is greatly appreciated!

Skroob

Re: VPN Connection Issues
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 11:22:41 PM »
An uninstall and re-install of the client remedied the problem.