Author Topic: I got it too.... Alureon-K...  (Read 9773 times)

FallenAnjel

I got it too.... Alureon-K...
« on: March 25, 2012, 04:46:26 PM »
I've got most of it gone, except the "partition"  I got to the aprt where Avast tells me to run a bootscan upon restart. It did that, then gives me a few options such as

Restart Normally
Diagnostic Mode

and a few others.  Right now I'm doing what I can via LogMeIn, since it's the work computer that is infected.   I saw lots of great instructions by Essexboy and will follow what I can, unless someone wants me to do something specific.  I'm hoping the boss will drop the computer off to me so I can work on it continuously.  He's the type that will say, "Oh just leave it, work on it next week".....   yet seeing as he destroyed it to begin with (looking at YOU-KNOW-WHAT), he'll expect me to just wave my magic wand and fix it.   :-\

sorry for the rant.   So my quesiton is, which option should I choose after the bootscan? (or is that part of the virus?) 

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: I got it too.... Alureon-K...
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 04:59:35 PM »
If you have "lost" your icons and folders then do not empty any temporary folders

Follow the destructions here http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

RogueKiller should restore the vast majority of icons and kill the malware
aswMBR will determine which type of MBR infection you have, as there are several variants out there and each needs to be approached differently

FallenAnjel

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 08:47:39 PM »
Thanks Essex! Will do and post back what I find. 

FallenAnjel

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 09:54:20 PM »
Ok, so I had to install Malwarebytes on my thumbdrive because I can't get it to install on the infected computer.  I can run it fine from my thumbdrive on my laptop, but not the infected computer.    I did scan w/ Avast yesterday and seemed to have deleted everything but the Alureon. 

Should I just continue on w/ the rest of the instructions ?

Just an FYI, the infected computer is a Dell GX270 running Windows XP SP3.  32 bit.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 10:06:36 PM »
Continue with aswMBR and OTL

I will do a rough and ready clean then we will use Rogue killer to get the icons back

FallenAnjel

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 11:16:14 PM »
Ok, attached are the OTL files and the aswMBR Files.   Thanks for everything.   Can't believe I might actaully get this cleaned up.  :) 

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 11:23:46 PM »
OK lets hit the partition first whilst I look at the OTL log

Copy aswMBR to your root C drive i.e. C:\aswMBR.exe

Go start > Run and copy/paste the following command :

aswMBR.exe -ap 1

Press OK

Reboot as soon as it has completed.

If aswMBR should fail for some reason then :

Download the latest version of TDSSKiller from here and save it to your Desktop.

• Doubleclick on TDSSKiller.exe to run the application, then click on Change parameters.

• Check the boxes beside Verify Driver Digital Signature and Detect TDLFS file system, then click OK.

• Click the Start Scan button.

• If a suspicious object is detected, the default action will be Skip, click on Continue.

• If malicious objects are found, they will show in the Scan results and offer three (3) options.
  • Ensure Cure is selected, then click Continue => Reboot now to finish the cleaning process.

• Note: If Cure is not available, please choose Skip instead, do not choose Delete unless instructed.
A report will be created in your root directory, (usually C:\ folder) in the form of "TDSSKiller.[Version]_[Date]_[Time]_log.txt". Please copy and paste its contents on your next reply.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 11:56:32 PM »
I am signing off now so I thought I would post the next task before I go

OK lets get the rest now, once this has run can you let me know what problems remain

Warning This fix is only relevant for this system and no other, using on another computer may cause problems

Be advised that when the fix commences it will shut down all running processes and you may lose the desktop and icons, they will return on reboot

If you have Malwarebytes 1.6 or better installed please disable it for the duration of this run

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following
    :OTL
    SRV - File not found [Auto | Stopped] -- C:\WINDOWS\system32\tfruqqp.dll -- (baytelzay)
    O3 - HKU\S-1-5-21-1417001333-2077806209-725345543-500\..\Toolbar\WebBrowser: (no name) - {0B53EAC3-8D69-4B9E-9B19-A37C9A5676A7} - No CLSID value found.
    O3 - HKU\S-1-5-21-1417001333-2077806209-725345543-500\..\Toolbar\WebBrowser: (no name) - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - No CLSID value found.
    O4 - HKLM..\Run: [NtMnQCOqTAx.exe] C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\NtMnQCOqTAx.exe File not found
    O4 - HKU\.DEFAULT..\RunOnce: [adawarebp] reg.exe delete "HKCU\Software\AppDataLow\Software\adawarebp" /f File not found
    O4 - HKU\.DEFAULT..\RunOnce: [adawarebp_XP] reg.exe delete "HKCU\Software\adawarebp" /f File not found
    O4 - HKU\S-1-5-18..\RunOnce: [adawarebp] reg.exe delete "HKCU\Software\AppDataLow\Software\adawarebp" /f File not found
    O4 - HKU\S-1-5-18..\RunOnce: [adawarebp_XP] reg.exe delete "HKCU\Software\adawarebp" /f File not found
    NetSvcs: baytelzay - C:\WINDOWS\system32\tfruqqp.dll File not found
    [2012/03/24 15:07:01 | 000,000,464 | -H-- | M] () -- C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Rr2WDjeLisXgAt
    [2012/03/24 15:05:12 | 000,000,264 | -H-- | M] () -- C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\~Rr2WDjeLisXgAt
    [2012/03/24 15:05:12 | 000,000,176 | -H-- | M] () -- C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\~Rr2WDjeLisXgAtr
    [2012/03/24 15:05:06 | 000,000,896 | -H-- | M] () -- C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\System Check.lnk
    [2012/03/24 15:05:06 | 000,000,896 | -H-- | C] () -- C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\System Check.lnk
    [2012/03/24 11:46:05 | 000,000,896 | -H-- | M] () -- C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\smtmp\2\System Check.lnk

:Files
    ipconfig /flushdns /c

:Commands
    [emptytemp]
    [CREATERESTOREPOINT]
    [Reboot]
  • Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done
  • Open OTL again and click the Quick Scan button. Post the log it produces in your next reply.

FallenAnjel

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 04:40:02 AM »
Thanks for the second reply.   

I copied the aswMBR into the C:Drive like you said, but the computer "couldn't find" the file when I typed in what you said to type in.  I DID run it by double clicking it, so if that helps, I've attached the file to this post. 

I'm also going to now run the TDSS Killer and do that now, then rerun the OTL...

So I did all that and attached are the MBR, TDSS and OTL files. 

So I still have no icons, IDK if doing all this is supposed to bring them back yet or it will still be a while. Things are slowly reappearing,  I am mainly missing the program file icons in Start, but I can get to all the "stock" items :My computer, network, run, control panel.  The prgrams are still listed in control panel, but no icons, so I know everything is still in the computer. 

Thanks again for all your help.  :)

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 10:57:01 AM »
Re-run TDSSKiller and when this item is presented select delete :

\Device\Harddisk0\DR0 ( TDSS File System )

It looks as though at some stage a temp cleaner has been run.  Did you use Combofix earlier ?

If so we may be able to recover them from there

FallenAnjel

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 06:05:12 PM »
Yes, I did try to run Combofix in the very beginning. It was one of the programs on my thumb drive.  I say "tried" becuase as far as I knew it didn't run.  PC Doctor DID work but I had to pay to get rid of everything (except the AlureonK wasn't in the list so it would have been wasted money..thank goodness I told the boss to hold off).   Then I ran Avast, and that helped the best. 

I will re-run TDSS Killer and delete that file.   Then I will post my log. 

FallenAnjel

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 07:05:14 PM »
I ran TDSS Killer again and didnt' see where to delete that file.  Attached is my log and two pictures of what I saw when I scanned. 

Here's the links for the pics since they're too big to attach:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/527560_10150610839127133_509412132_9417065_1974557898_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/522150_10150610839287133_509412132_9417066_932413882_n.jpg

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 09:32:52 PM »
OK thats gone - weird but thats computers for you.  How is the computer now ?

OK lets try and locate the backups of all the shortcuts that are missing

Run OTL quick scan with the following custom script

C:\Qoobox /s

FallenAnjel

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 10:04:49 PM »
yes, computers are strange....

On the strange note, I had been getting some icons back here and there during this whole process, but noticed a lot are missing again.  for instance, My Documents is empty again.      I still have most of the Start Menu tho, thank goodness.  I wasnt' even able to use "Run" until yesterday. 

Attached is the log file of the OTL scan w/ the "C:\Qoobox /s" command.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 10:20:07 PM »
In the words of the immoral bard "bugger it"  combofix emptied the temp files but failed to save them

However, there is always a way around this

Restore Accessories Program Files Menu[/u][/color] 

Please download this tool here[/color]

You will need to unzip the tool first. 

Once you've unzipped the tool, please double-click on it to run it. 

Ensure that the following check boxes are checked (as seen in this image below): 

Once they are, click on the Restore button.

Restore Admin Tools Program Files Menu[/u][/color] 

Please download this tool here[/color]

You will need to unzip the tool first. 

Once you've unzipped the tool, please double-click on it to run it. 

Click on the Restore Administrative Tools Items button. 

As seen in this image below: 

This next one will produce the necessary shortcut links which you can cut and paste into the start menu folder
Download the repair.vbs file to your destop
Run the repair.vbs
It will ask for a folder name call it recovery
The tool will let you know when it is finished
On the desktop will be a recovery folder 
Open the folder
Cut and Paste the links that you want to C:\documents and settings\your name\start menu