Author Topic: Scan taking several days...still not complete  (Read 1574 times)

vmr907

Scan taking several days...still not complete
« on: March 28, 2012, 01:48:53 AM »
Hi,

I apologize if this issue has already been touched upon somewhere else.  I am running Avast Pro Antivirus, and have setup a custom scan.  The scan is nothing out of the ordinary, but to date almost 73 hours have elapsed, and only 86% of my hard drive has been scanned.  I have tried running this scan in the past, the quick scan, and full scan and they all take over a week.  I end up having to cancel the scan as it ends up taking up all of my system resources, and eventually crashes the machine, requiring a cold boot.  The drive is 2TB, it's an internal SATA drive, the system is an HP i7 with 8GB of memory, which should be sufficient, given the fact that when I had McAfee installed it took a few days to run basically the same scan.

Has anyone encountered something similar, or have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Victor

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Scan taking several days...still not complete
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 02:34:31 AM »
Personally I  wouldn't use a custom scan, more so if you also have it scan archives and any other expansions, like scan all files and scan for PUPs, etc.

I would stick to the Quick and Full System Scans on default settings are they are going to cover those files at greatest risk of infection and ones which if infected present an immediate risk, etc.

- With a resident on-access antivirus like avast, the need for frequent on-demand scans is much depreciated. For the most part the on-demand scan is going to be scanning files that would be otherwise be dormant or inert. If they were active files then the on-access file system shield would be scanning them before being created, modified, opened or executed.

I have avast set to do a scheduled weekly Quick scan, set at a time and day that I know the computer will be on. If for some reason my system wasn't on, no big deal I will catch up on the next scheduled scan.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 08:53:03 AM »
On-demand scan is really only needed for the first time you install avast! and later in case if you suspect infection. Other than that, no need for it. In most cases default quick scan or full scan do the job perfectly fine.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

vmr907

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 05:35:12 PM »
Good to know, thanks for all of your input.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 05:59:29 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security