Author Topic: Avast Program Version 6.0.1367 quit working?  (Read 9720 times)

jessey

Avast Program Version 6.0.1367 quit working?
« on: March 27, 2012, 06:12:32 AM »
Hello,

Could someone help me with a problem I'm having?
My avast quit working and I can't get it fixed.
It started when I noticed the avast icon was showing a red X indicating that it wasn't working. When I double click on the avast icon a page opens up that shows "Urgent: avast! service stopped", when I click on the FIX NOW button nothing happens. Also on the same page, nothing happens when I click on the "start program" link.

So I decided to un-install the program but when I try I get a box that shows "Error reading product data “C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\part-setup_ais-557.vpx”. Setup cannot continue."

I have no idea on what is happening.
Can anyone help me out?

Thanks
jessey

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Avast Program Version 6.0.1367 quit working?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 07:45:07 AM »
Which avast!..?? (Free/Pro/IS)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 07:52:23 AM »
Avast Program Version 6.0.1367 quit working?
well...maybe you should try with latest version  7.0.1426

jessey

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 10:09:12 AM »
Hi pondus,

I'd like to try a newer version. I have the free version. I downloaded another free version from avast's website but it would not install because I can't un-install the one I have that's all screwed up. The same thing happened to a older friend of mine in another city and he ended up opting for the paid version and it installed so I'm wondering what is up with avast. Maybe it's a marketing ploy to sell the paid version because on the same page that has the "fix now" button and the "start program" link (that does nothing) is a link to the paid version and that works. I'm hoping I'm wrong and I probably am wrong but it is very frustrating to say the least. The free version of Avast has worked good for me for years now and I'd like to stick with it so I'm hoping I can fix it and not have to learn how to use another brand name free anti virus program.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong or what I could try to fix it?
I am running windows vista.

Thanks
jessey

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 10:19:01 AM »
Does anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong or what I could try to fix it?

1. Download avast! Free Antivirus: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe
2. Follow instructions: http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility
3. Reinstall avast! with the downloaded installer from point 1.
4. Reboot.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

womble

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 03:40:20 AM »
i have read the same instructions as  these in this and other forums! is avast dealing with this issue? its a serious one (obviously).

i have a further problem to add to it. but first  i would like to know WHY this is happening?

i have since tonight had the very same problem.  and though it may not be connected, i noticed it happened after my PC (running xp pro sp3, latest firefox) began restarting itself without me telling it to. i system restored and that seemed cured. so far so good.

THEN once i got myself up and running noticed, as the others above have, that avast had the little cross symbol, denoting it had stopped running. so i opened avast (6.0.1367, free) and got all the above notices in it when i tried fixing or updating.

i followed the above control panel change/uninstall instructions but got this notice:
"error reading product data "C:\program files\setup\part-setup_ais-557.vxp" setup cannot continue"

why is this actually happening? is it part of some form of malicious software attack? is it a serious bug in the latest versions? is a fix being readied for this?

i am as i write installing the 50.3mb update from the avast site, and hoping this may resolve the issue. and may try the latest version of aast free.

incidently i formerly used to always use AVG but found it seeming to fall way way behind its former glory, and tried avast and was highly impressed by its free version, and would when i can afford have gotten the premium version. but for now i am on hold with that. and may begin to look at other antivirus solutions.

i am hoping this will be resolved soon as i have really liked avast up till now

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 05:06:39 PM »
Stop posting this all over the place and stick to your first shot, where you have received replies, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=36568.msg768753#msg768753.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

womble

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 02:46:56 PM »
Stop posting this all over the place and stick to your first shot, where you have received replies, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=36568.msg768753#msg768753.
its a serious matter that dosnt seem to be getting APPROPRIATE ATTENTION! my system has had SERIOUS ISSUES since avast 6 went like this, laso it is worth noting that 7 WONT EVEN INSTALL< it cant even unpack istelf.
i FINALLY got a fix for uninstalling avast 6. only took two weeks! and i still have issues (that i thought may have been viral due to it not working, but turned out to be avast 6!) seriously affecting my system.  I THINK A BIT OF OVER THE TOP POSTING IS CALLED FOR? no? UNTILL good serious ANSWERS  are given, and genuine ways for people to REPAIR their system since our system restores are now f**cked.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 03:24:19 PM »
By staying in your original topic is keeps everything together, bumps it up the chronological order. We don't suggest doing this just to p*** you off, but to make it easier on those who might seek to help and you don't have to constantly answer the same questions.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security