Author Topic: Ads on YouTube  (Read 8728 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Ads on YouTube
« on: March 27, 2012, 02:48:38 PM »
Does anybody knows how to block the ads into the YouTube videos like the one in the screenshot?
I use both Firefox and Chrome with AdBlock Plus, but they pass through them...

Thanks for any support.
The best things in life are free.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Re: Ads on YouTube
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 03:01:32 PM »
Some people enjoy a little income derived from these adds.  :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 03:08:17 PM »
Does anybody knows how to block the ads into the YouTube videos like the one in the screenshot?
I use both Firefox and Chrome with AdBlock Plus, but they pass through them...

Thanks for any support.

I don't visit YouTube that often but I don't see any ads, your image was the first I have seen, do you have a link and I will check it out.

I don't have an account with youtube, I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Aside from using Firefox with NoScript, I also use RequestPolicy add-on, so that may also play a part in blocking 3rd party (cross site) scripts being run.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 03:20:34 PM »
Iv managed to block a few of the ads with some of the tracking protection addons in IE9 but most of them get by, whats even more annoying are the video ads that play for 10-20 seconds before you actually get to watch what you wanted, at least when iv downloaded anything from youtube i dont get the ads included with the download.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 03:22:50 PM »
Some people enjoy a little income derived from these adds.  :)
They're not the ones who hate ads ;D

Well, RequestPolicy just brought me troubles in the past, difficult the browsing experience. Maybe I need to test them into FF again.
But I'm mostly on Chrome now...

Offline RZPogi

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 04:26:02 PM »
You can block them using avast site blocking feature.

add googlesyndication, doubleclick, yieldmanager to the site blocking list. Remember to add *.<name of ad site>.* at each name so the entire domain name is blocked.
DESKTOP: Win 10, Avast 20 Free, Windows firewall, Malwarebytes free

LAPTOP: Win 10, Windows Defender, Malwarebytes free, Windows Firewall, Mcshield

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 08:59:08 PM »

add googlesyndication, doubleclick, yieldmanager to the site blocking list. Remember to add *.<name of ad site>.* at each name so the entire domain name is blocked.
Thanks for that tip RZPogi, it works  :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 09:06:17 PM »

Thanks. Ads are gone when I've blocked the domain into NoScript and ScriptNo.

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »
Adblockplus is good to have to block those ads to.. since i installed the addon for chrome.. its been like almost ad free youtube.. I don't see any ads in the youtube players or anywhere on websites i visit. :)
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).

YoKenny

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 09:42:54 PM »

Its much easier to block them with the HOST file!

What it does ...
The Hosts file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. This file is loaded into memory (cache) at startup, then Windows checks the Hosts file before it queries any DNS servers, which enables it to override addresses in the DNS. This prevents access to the listed sites by redirecting any connection attempts back to the local (your) machine. Another feature of the HOSTS file is its ability to block other applications from connecting to the Internet, providing the entry exists.

You can use a HOSTS file to block ads, banners, 3rd party Cookies, 3rd party page counters, web bugs, and even most hijackers. This is accomplished by blocking the connection(s) that supplies these little gems.

Example - the following entry 127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net blocks all files supplied by that DoubleClick Server to the web page you are viewing. This also prevents the server from tracking your movements. Why? ... because in certain cases "Ad Servers" like Doubleclick (and many others) will try silently to open a separate connection on the webpage you are viewing, record your movements then yes ... follow you to additional sites you may visit.
http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 01:29:35 AM »
Adblockplus is good to have to block those ads to.. since i installed the addon for chrome.. its been like almost ad free youtube.. I don't see any ads in the youtube players or anywhere on websites i visit. :)
Same here. Running Firefox with AdBlock Plus and NoScript, I receive no ads.
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

Offline khaled_karim

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2021, 04:44:47 AM »

Can you please show me/tell me where is the avast site blocking feature. I want to try your solution but I don't know where to add what you mentioned to the site blocking list. By the way, I have a laptop Dell-Windows 10 and I use Avast secure browser.

Thank you

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2021, 05:30:41 AM »
Same here. Running Firefox with AdBlock Plus and NoScript, I receive no ads.
+2 Same here. Running Firefox with AdGuard Premium and NoScript, I receive no ads.
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip