Author Topic: System Restore on Win7 Has Avast 5 malfunctioning and disabled :(  (Read 7582 times)

Karen May Jones

Re: System Restore on Win7 Has Avast 5 malfunctioning and disabled :(
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2012, 04:29:21 PM »
If you do try a system restore you must first disable the Avast protection module

I have tried that on my win7 and it worked a treat

I DEFINITELY will do this in the future!!

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2012, 04:30:42 PM »
I only know that because I had a little play, seeing as this problem appeared a few times 

lljustice2002

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2012, 05:56:59 PM »
Hello again. Thank you for replying Karen and Essexboy.  I right clicked on avast icon and clicked on restore previous versions but it says there are no previous versions. Also, how do i disable the self-defense module? When I go to settings and then troubleshooting I unclick the protection module but as soon as I exit out and go back it is checked again. Is there some other way I'm suppose to stop it from running?  Karen, by restoring to a previous version...is that how you were able to fix yours? I'm just ready to get this taken care of,its been one big headache. Thanks....Lanny
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 06:04:30 PM by lljustice2002 »

Karen May Jones

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2012, 06:07:33 PM »
Hello again. Thank you for replying Karen and Essexboy.  I right clicked on avast icon and clicked on restore previous versions but it says there are no previous versions. Also, how do i disable the protection module? When I go to settings and then troubleshooting I unclick the protection module but as soon as I exit out and go back it is checked again. Is there some other way I'm suppose to stop it from running?  Karen, by restoring to a previous version...is that how you were able to fix yours? I'm just ready to get this taken care of,its been one big headache. Thanks....Lanny
yes, it is how i fixed mine.  Also, I could not get the "previous versions" to show up if I accessed avast from the menu bar.  I had to go through C (computer) and then Programs.... Awil folder before I could actually right click on my avast folder and find a list of previous versions.  This is strange, but I did spend a LOT of time working on this. There were several fixes provided here on the forum, but I could NOT get them to work.  At one point, after I deleted the avast folder in safe mode, my pc became completely disabled into a permanent blue screen/reboot/blue screen LOOP (it would not boot into NORMAL mode).  The only way I got my pc back was to again go into safe mode, and visit the recycle bin and UNDELETE/restore the avast folder.  Crazy!  Please be careful.

lljustice2002

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2012, 06:58:52 PM »
Ok...I went to my computer(C) and program files and was able to right click on avast folder and found the earlier versions like you said but when I highlight the version I want to restore, it doesnt give me the option to apply it. Tried everything

Karen May Jones

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2012, 08:55:52 PM »
Right. it didnt give me the option to restore it either. instead, I copied it to my avast folder... I put it in a separate folder .. because not being in safe mode./... it wouldnt allow me to just replace it/over write it.

Being scared to tamper with AVAST, I backed up my defunct copy of avast by copying it (NOT moving it) into a backup folder.  then, after that, i took the restore copy (previous version) and pasted it over the normal avast folder.. in my case it was AVAST 5 folder.  I did this in SAFE MODE.  I was prepared to restore the avast folder back to its broken state just in case it flipped out on me and put me in the blue screen hell again. I really dont know if this makes much sense. but it is what worked for me.  I've tried to include screenshots of what I had tried all along, but I dont think anyone understood the fact that I could not use the UNinstaller, it was like people were RACING to help me, but the information would not work.... so I really dont know how else to help ya :) sorry.