Author Topic: Java, anyone ?  (Read 3038 times)

tony b

Java, anyone ?
« on: March 28, 2012, 11:51:25 AM »
Interesting post on Krebs

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2012/03/new-java-attack-rolled-into-exploit-packs/

He recommends removing Java, I'm wondering whether to, or not. What do people think ?

BTW nice work on avast 7
Updated netbook w7 and desktop xp no problemo  ;)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Java, anyone ?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 12:12:18 PM »
Depends on if you have any software installed that requires java, i dont have java on my laptop but i do have it on the desktop for the office software to function, the main key is to make sure java is always updated to the latest stable version which is 6.0.31 at the moment.

SafeSurf

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 01:00:46 PM »
I always remove Java prior to installing the latest Java software.  In other words, I do not update it and leave any old Java software behind on my machine.  Some sites I go to require Java, so that is why I have it on my machine.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 02:02:02 PM »
Well you can use Secunia PSI to check for the latest java to be installed. Java in Google chrome browser ask you before the plug-in canbe used, to allow the use of it. If you do not trust it, do not run, so deny the use of it. If you get a message that the plug-in is not the most recent version, you have to install the latest. With BetterPop up Blocker extension & Not Scripts I allow just what would run from which domain. But I advice to do some pre-scanning to know a site does not have java malware on it. And if you do not need java, do not use it,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 03:06:00 PM »
He recommends removing Java, I'm wondering whether to, or not. What do people think ?

I removed it long time ago...!! ;)
If you don't really need it, get rid of it.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

GuitarLord

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 04:13:31 PM »
I don't really recommend removing it, since a lot of software and websites require Java. If you play Minecraft, I suggest you keep it. If you don't plan on downloading software that requires Java, then you can remove it. ;)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 04:17:04 PM »
Never had Java on this system, if a programme requires it then I use something else