Author Topic: What is com.avast.proxy and why does it need permission for so many websites?  (Read 31680 times)

macmomma08

I'm not tech savy, so please keep it simple. I just installed the beta yesterday because I realized they don't do the paid version anymore, and I went to open firefox. So then this message pops up (Little Snitch) that says com.avast.proxy wants permissions for google. I click okay, then it's asking permission for like five more websites.

The only time I've encountered this before is when I installed Google Chrome and it took me a while to realize that it didn't have permission to connect to something called "port 80". So going off that weird experience, I've temporarily granted com.avast.proxy "allow any connection".

Can someone tell me what this is and what this is doing?

Also, did my first scan and I got two things marked "files with warnings in archive". What does this mean? Is it the same as that decompression bomb thing from the old version? Thanks!

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Hello,

The avast web shield acts as a proxy to filter the web traffic, which is what little snitch is seeing.

Can you post your scan log (or a screenshot) of where you got the warnings? It could be a decompression bomb.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

macmomma08

Okay thanks for telling me about the proxy thing, I allowed it permanantly since it's part of avast.

I added a screenshot, three of those things I'm pretty sure I recognize from before with the old version (I remember calling apple to verify bootroot loader was okay a couple years ago).

Also, when I opened my mail (in that application that macs have) something else popped up about something with a ssl something or other. It disappeared so fast I don't know what it was and I'm not sure where to find it so I can figure out what it was trying to tell me.

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Also, when I opened my mail (in that application that macs have) something else popped up about something with a ssl something or other. It disappeared so fast I don't know what it was and I'm not sure where to find it so I can figure out what it was trying to tell me.

This is the "SSL connection detected" warning. See the appropriate thread (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=89943.0) for more info.

tbernis

I gave avast proxy an unlimited port 80 access and problem solved.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 06:05:34 PM by tbernis »

Offline 86a08302n212

So, does this mean that LittleSnitch is basically useless in combination with the Avast Web-Shield.

For example, if Safari wanted to connect on port 99 to wehacku.cn I would see that in Little Snitch and deny it based on the unusual port and hostname.
But if we are using Web Shield would LS even alert for that connection??

skat1144

So, does this mean that LittleSnitch is basically useless in combination with the Avast Web-Shield.

For example, if Safari wanted to connect on port 99 to wehacku.cn I would see that in Little Snitch and deny it based on the unusual port and hostname.
But if we are using Web Shield would LS even alert for that connection??
I think it means all your fine-tuning for which sites can and cannot be contacted go out the window (or have to be re-done), because it's not your browser that's trying to contact authenticate.foo.com:443, it's avast's proxy.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Correct, web traffic is roughed through this proxy for scanning and you need to configure little snitch or other such application accordingly
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

MilaK

Hello!

I just got this computer from my ex and I have a similar question... except I'm really a newbie about this!

I usually keep my computer on 24/7 (hoping thats ok) but sometimes I need to reboot. When I do that I get sooo many windows asking me permision from different sites and different ports. Its set for When Quit as opposed to Forever, so I know thats why when I reboot, I have to go thru the same process. But half the sites they mention I'm not familiar with... and I'm afraid it might affect the usability of my mini mac.

I'm not sure what to do! I'd appreciate any advice and information...

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 11:42:43 PM by MilaK »

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Are you using the little snitch firewall?

MilaK

I don't think so... should I? I wasn't sure about it.

thanks... and look forward to your reply...