Author Topic: Avast disabling MS Word  (Read 32651 times)

petrusknut

Re: Avast disabling MS Word
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 10:06:12 AM »
I have left the exception settings on so that reads are not checked but writes are. I think this is reasonably secure as long as you don't get a virus that alters already saved files.
I have tried the new release8.0.1486 and still get the same problem-Word files are locked outparticularly if Word Automatic backup is used.
I am still inclined to the view that this is a timing issue in that the release update a couple of releases ago introduced a greater demand and Avast can not complete its checks in time

petrusknut

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2013, 07:57:06 PM »
Technical Support has recommended that I install the latest release 8.0.1488 which I have done and so far it seems to have solved the problem
I have removed the exclusions.
If problems remain I will report here.

petrusknut

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2013, 11:01:23 AM »
I afraid that I misled myself in testing the Word problem under the latest release. instead of removing Read Exclusion I added Write Exclusion. Without exclusions problem is still there

ocyl

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2013, 06:38:06 AM »
I am experiencing the same issue with Avast Antivirus v8.0.148x, Windows XP SP3, and Word 2003 SP3.  Like petrusknut, I have had to use File System Shield's read+write exclusions as a temporary workaround for now.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 05:08:33 PM by ocyl »

macavity

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 10:41:50 AM »
I've now twice lost important data due to file corruption as a result of this issue. Is it ever going to be fixed, Avast?

petrusknut

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2013, 11:04:11 AM »
I don't know why you have lost information if you use the suggested work around which excludes checks on file reads.
I agree it needs to be fixed- I recently fell foul of it when I tried to save a template as .dot file extension wasn't listed in read exclusions

petrusknut

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2013, 06:26:36 PM »
To anyone following this saga, after further investigation on my systems I discovered that problem was only on partitions/disks organised in the old FAT32 system whereas the later NTFS was OK
I converted my data partition to NTFS and so far have not had the problem again. This needs confirmation from Avast Technical Support but if you have the problem check your file organisation system and if it is FAT32 consider changing to NTFS . There is MS guidance on this at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307881

UK_Mike

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2013, 05:45:18 PM »
I'm also having problems with Avast 8.0.1489. Ever since installing it last week, I can't save Word 2002 docs reliably. Most times it trashes the file and complains about disk corruption and file permission errors. I've been running Avast Free for years without any problems, so it's definitely 8.0.1489 which is causing the problem. I'm running the latest updates of XP and Word 2002.

I've had to turn off the FS shield to stop the errors and allow me to use Word again. Avast need to sort this one out ASAP.

petrusknut

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2013, 06:38:47 PM »
I am not saying that changing to NTFS is the 'official' solution but it has worked for me. It is certainly worth while checking what file system you are using Right click on Drive where documents are stored and go to Properties which will show file system in use.

ocyl

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2013, 08:09:32 AM »
Avast needs to fix the issue so that both file systems will continue to be scanned without causing data loss.

petrusknut

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2013, 09:39:35 AM »
Agreed that AVAST need to fix it so that it works with both systems, but converting to NTFS is in my opinion a better work around than turning off checks on Reads which was recommendation before.
NTFS is latest file system and although some experts (I am not an expert on file systems) argued for FAT32 in the past it may now be expedient to move to NTFS.
Your choice but at least check which system you are on It is easy to convert and I converted 10 partitions in 30 mins or so (most did not require back ups as no vital data in)

ocyl

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2013, 10:05:13 AM »
So if a friend comes by and needs to do a quick edit on a document stored on his/her USB drive, the first thing that you are going to do is to convert the USB drive's file system to NTFS so that when he/she goes back home, he/she will no longer be able to access the files in certain FAT-only environments (e.g. UEFI) that he/she works with, right?

petrusknut

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2013, 11:36:58 AM »
No. In that case it would be easier to set exclusions as before
I am definitely NOT saying this is a solution; it is a better work around.
The fact that Avast works with NTFS and not FAT32 is a symptom of the underlying problem which I hope now that the developers can look at. Previously the problem has been intermittent  which really means that one does not fully understand the conditions under which it occurs. With further knowledge one can understand problem better.
I have never said it is THE solution- use it if you want otherwise ignore

ocyl

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2013, 05:45:14 PM »
Gotcha, petrusknut.  Thanks for sharing your test results.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 02:00:29 AM by ocyl »

hrrogersjr

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2013, 09:40:39 PM »
NewbieAlert:  wow..this is really intriguing to me. I'm running Windows7 HomePremium with all updates BUT SP1 (will NOT download)...but my 2010 MSOffice w/Word  works fine. My AvastFree File Settings are Max'd to "takeNoPrisoners" settings...but so far, so good.  Definitely going to keep this Post filed-away.