Author Topic: Avast WebRep Tallied By Criminals - Check FBI.GOV  (Read 15467 times)

UserA789

Avast WebRep Tallied By Criminals - Check FBI.GOV
« on: March 29, 2012, 08:35:25 PM »
Imagine my surprise to go to the official FBI webpage and see that it has the worst rating by Avast WebRep  :o !!!  I was going to a link Iv provided before about DNS malware servers and viola...

This is here seems to be proof of my current stance that much of the Avast community has been hijacked by the illicit element.  What other reason could there be for this  :-X ?

This is why this tool has become useless and more likely a danger than anything :'( .  If an official government page is listed as "BAD" with one of the worst ratings, then what sites are TRULY being given good recommendations?  Time to re-install WITHOUT the webrep tool!!!

Im already wondering how many sites Iv been to that were nothing but harm but rated as GOOD or GREAT by the WebRep tool... thanks for listening guys.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 08:42:22 PM by UserA789 »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Avast WebRep Tallied By Criminals - Check FBI.GOV
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 08:41:08 PM »
No one trusts the Fed's ;D if you dont want webrep installed there is no need to reinstall avast without it, just uninstall webrep itself - click avast as to uninstall then click on change and untick browser protection.

UserA789

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 08:47:21 PM »
No one trusts the Fed's ;D if you dont want webrep installed there is no need to reinstall avast without it, just uninstall webrep itself - click avast as to uninstall then click on change and untick browser protection.
Wether they are trusted or not, there site should not be rated as unsafe or bad.  I currently am in a battle with my local senator but still value some of the information on the FBI site concerning web related matters, they advice and things they have uncovered are proof as to why they ARE a great site for this type of information.

Also, this tool is not about personal paranoias or feelings about a governemnt, or at least should not be.  It is a tool meant to direct people to safe browsing... and while the FBI has been hacked before; there site is much safer to browse than say... facebook, and its got one of the highest marks.

Again, this goes to show that this tool (and most liekly this site) have been overtaken by those that mean us no good.

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 08:48:48 PM »
Also, this tool is not about personal paranoias or feelings about a governemnt, or at least should not be.

i do not care about FBI (yet) but anyways, the webrep is pretty accurate for the websites i visit (or i believe)  ;D

edit: nope, its not a tool for safe browsing (apart from phishing protection, which is new in Avast v7). it is mostly just to inform u what other Avast users think of a particular website as in Avast v6 (i.e. is it trust worthy in the eyes of other Avast users?, or simply do they like it?) webrep is by no means to tell if a website is safe at any particular instance in time or malicious. that is solely the job of web shield and network shield in Avast.  ;)

an example would be facebook: to Avast users, is it trustworthy? yes! as evident in Avast webrep. is it always safe? no! some hackers might hack into facebook anytime and plant something malicious into it. u can conclude that no reputation services can tell if a website is safe at any point in time. (be it Web Of Trust (WOT) or Avast! Webrep)

read this: https://blog.avast.com/2011/02/09/webrep-and-long-hot-legs/
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 09:08:15 PM by AntiVirusASeT »

Gargamel360

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 09:11:29 PM »
Wether they are trusted or not, there site should not be rated as unsafe or bad.  I currently am in a battle with my local senator but still value some of the information on the FBI site concerning web related matters, they advice and things they have uncovered are proof as to why they ARE a great site for this type of information.
Also, this tool is not about personal paranoias or feelings about a governemnt, or at least should not be.  It is a tool meant to direct people to safe browsing... and while the FBI has been hacked before; there site is much safer to browse than say... facebook, and its got one of the highest marks.
Again, this goes to show that this tool (and most liekly this site) have been overtaken by those that mean us no good.
Another person with mistaken impressions about WebRep.   It is about personal feelings.  In fact, that is what it asks you.  "Do you Like this site?  If so, how much, based on this colored slider?"   While it has a certain security value now that it checks for certificates/has Phishing protection, I have always treated it as a Toy (no offense intended, Avast!), something for people to make their voices heard, a barometer of opinion of the Avast! community.

But yeah, I will agree it is odd the FBI would draw such prevalent dislike...despite the fact I also trust them not a bit (and Fed authority in general).   It could just be a "hiccup", WebRep has generated bad ratings from nowhere in the past, it was shortly fixed.   Could also be part of the whole SOPA/PIPA issue.....a legion of children mobilized against it, and began using any outlet possible to protest it (despite the fact that most of them don't really care or understand the true issue, they just don't want their free stuff taken away).

UserA789

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 09:51:31 PM »
But yeah, I will agree it is odd the FBI would draw such prevalent dislike...despite the fact I also trust them not a bit (and Fed authority in general).   It could just be a "hiccup", WebRep has generated bad ratings from nowhere in the past, it was shortly fixed.  -this was not rated this way until I posted by link concerning DNS malware changing(not claiming they have anything to do with one another just for timeframe)... long after the SOPA fight.
So then, we should allow the obvious facts showing who Avast is relying upon for the information and proabable choices for program updates and feature fixes to a group that is apparently swaying what sites one would choose to visit because the Avast WebRep tool says its cool?

That what you guys just stated.  From this rating alone, Im now going to be busy writing letters of re-consideration to the state and local governemnt offices that chose Avast partially on my input.  The lead sheriff for the county I am from takes my recommendations serioulsy when it comes to compurting as he is aware the things I did while serving in the United States Armed Forces.  So while many of you feel the WebRep tool should be something TOTALLy controlled by user input, thats just not so.

Should we then let the phishing filter be as such; if its not already?  Or maybe how about the Web Shield since they can all be 'influenced' by partipiaction within the Avst Community and this forum?

Thats just silly and if you cant see why, I feel sorry for you over the next few years as the illicit element (which I used to be a part of and am honestly trying to make up for some of the bad I did by helping things like this).  While Avast own article shows that consumers will stay loyal to a body thats been corrupted/breached; government offices to not carry the same luxury.  They have to look at the basis of fact beyond personal 'trusts'.  While its true that most governments are somewhat influenced by corruption and should not just be blindly trusted... they ALL take their security seriously (for the most part).  And when something like this comes up, which my own mother who works for the local government has been told that Avast WebRep will let her know of a sites 'worthiness', you can bet information like this changes that ball game all together.

If the WebRep tool is solely controlled by user input, I pity Avast for making this decision.  Here is the first of many to come of facts that show who's really running this ship.

...and the absolute thought of kids being the main influence to the Avast community really brings no thoughts of safety at all.

Avast Matey... time for a few to start walk'n the plank before the whole shibang has been mutininized and we are forced to abandon ship!

By order of thee 33rd  :-X
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 10:22:50 PM by UserA789 »

Gargamel360

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 11:27:36 PM »
Honestly, WTF is wrong with you?  :o

Don't miss-quote me, for starters.

Secondly, your conspiracy FUD does not float here.  You seem to know a lot of "stuff"....but when it comes to facts to back up your words, there is nothing there.   

Go hunt a Yeti, it would be more constructive.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 12:00:23 AM »
WebRep is "not" security related. It is based solely on popularity. IOW, if I don't "like" a site I can always give it a bad rating, even though another user may disagree. If you rely on WebRep for safety you are very disillusioned. The true safety for avast is based in the resident shields.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 12:36:03 AM »

No need to hunt, the Fed's know where they are! right next to the alien's  ;D ;D ;D

I might go to there page and put in a bad vote for them myself, they've covered up some major conspiracy's in the past and are probably the least likely people to be trusted when it comes to phone tapping and breaking personal privacy laws with internet tracing. MIB 8)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 12:38:36 AM »

No need to hunt, the Fed's know where they are! right next to the alien's  ;D ;D ;D

I might go to there page and put in a bad vote for them myself, they've covered up some major conspiracy's in the past and are probably the least likely people to be trusted when it comes to phone tapping and breaking personal privacy laws with internet tracing. MIB 8)
+1
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Anacunga

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 03:46:44 AM »
Hmm ... that site just got the rating it deserves - or not?  :P

Alievitan

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 04:45:15 AM »
Say what you want about the FBI, but something is wrong when WebRep equates the official FBI website with the same riffraff websites that actually really do bad things to you including trying to distribute malware or defraud you.  There are perfectly legitimate and potentially important reasons for someone would visit the official FBI website.  It would helpful if Webrep ratings reflected the legitimacy of the official FBI site, instead of equating in the same category as FBI.comm or FBI.com.. or FBI.me...you know sites that are actually harmful.     

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 05:46:48 AM »
@Alievitan: the legitimacy of FBI site is reflected by Avast in that in will not be blocked by Avast web shield unless there is actual malicious stuff on it (web shield is totally NOT based on webrep)

also please note that NO shields are based on webrep ratings!!

webrep is to ALLOW user based opinion to exist to compliment the existence of protection by Avast shields to make an OVERALL user evaluation of a particular site IF i would want to visit the site EVEN if it is scanned safe by signatures/heuristics due to what fellow Avast users feel about their experiences after they visited the site. (this is something that no malware scanner can do).

whether it is perfect or not is another thing, but DO NOT expect webrep to do what it is not capable of doing!

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 01:48:40 PM »
WebRep is simply Avast"s version of WOT, I rely as much on one as I do the other.

Sorry Avast but personal opinion based ratings really don't mean anything to me
and therefore these type of apps really have nothing to do with security. IMHO
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Pindakaas

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 06:35:51 PM »
In my opinion , addons like weprep , WOT  , etc are just confusing , it is all about user opinions , and people can get confused by it , if you have to implement a security add-on , base it on real facts , if it is a safe site or not , with a blacklist of known sites , not user opinions , imo thats not what a security program is about , its about '' is it malicious or not '' , not what users think about the site , some people find a site good and some not.