Author Topic: First Settings after Installation takes too much Time!  (Read 4724 times)

Offline Anacunga

First Settings after Installation takes too much Time!
« on: March 30, 2012, 03:41:20 AM »
Why does it always be sooooo time consuming to set ALL settings??? Where is the option to set all the actions and reporting at once???

Where is the possibility to set all at once??? My defaults are different than the standard defaults ("delete" IS NOT ALLOWED HERE!!! NOT AT ALL!!!) - AND I DON'T WANT TO LOSE SO MUCH TIME TO NEED TO UPDATE ALL SEPARATELY. It takes up to 10 minutes for every single machine!!!

THAT'S CRAZY AND NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!

Where is the possibilitiy to set the settings all at once?

Btw: that's what all is needed to do and change (settings just as an example when default settings (delete (wtf!)) is not acceptable):

File System Shield
-Expert Settings
--Actions
--- Virus
---- Change PopUp-Menu from [Move to Chest] to [Ask]
---- (if action fails) Change PopUp-Menu from [Delete] to [Repair]
---- (if action fails) Change PopUp-Menu from [No Action] to [Move to Chest]
--- PUP
--- Suspicious
--- OK
-Report file
-- Reported Files
--- Soft Errors
--- Skipped Items
Mail Shield
-Expert Settings
--Actions
--- Virus
--- PUP
--- Suspicious
--- OK
-Report file
-- Reported Files
--- Soft Errors
--- Skipped Items
Web Shield
-Expert Settings
--Actions
--- Virus
---- Change from [Abort Connection] to [Ask]
--- PUP
--- Suspicious
--- OK
-Report file
-- Reported Files
--- Soft Errors
--- Skipped Items
P2P Shield
-Expert Settings
--Actions
--- Virus
--- PUP
--- Suspicious
--- OK
-Report file
-- Reported Files
--- Soft Errors
--- Skipped Items
IM Shield
-Expert Settings
--Actions
--- Virus
--- PUP
--- Suspicious
--- OK
-Report file
-- Reported Files
--- Soft Errors
--- Skipped Items
Network Shield
- (no expert settings)

-Report file
-- Reported Files
--- Soft Errors
--- Skipped Items
Script Shield
-- (no actions in expert settings)

-Report file
-- Reported Files
--- Soft Errors
--- Skipped Items
Behaviour Shield
-- (no actions in expert settings)

-Report file
-- Reported Files
--- Soft Errors
--- Skipped Items

Why isn't there a "general settings" subpage where all "default settings" can be set at once (and then you still can set details separately)???

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
Re: First Settings after Installation takes too much Time!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 06:02:26 AM »
Avast default settings is the safest for users who do not know about security. so most users will never touch these settings.

delete is 'safe' for most users as if u cannot quarantine the threat as a 1st measure, it is necessary to remove the threat to prevent further damage to the system.

it is ur own opinion that settings are needed to be changed as what u like.

i agree that u can write in a suggestion on what can be improved in Avast (like u said: the possibilitiy to set the settings all at once)...but theres absolutely no need to shout in the forums, period.

Offline Anacunga

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 11:45:28 AM »
Sorry, but I remember that nightly update that was considering EVERY RUNNING APPLICATION as a threat, resulting in severly damaged systems that all the applications that were running at the time of the update or later were just DELETED, among them also system relevant stuff. To DELETE WITHOUT WARNING IS NOT SAFE as a damage is to expect, just from deleting. In such a case AVAST itself is a threat!!!

Why don't you offer "default settings" WHILE INSTALLING: those who just make a quick and dirty install (standard install and minimal install) don't see that settings - but if you choose a "manually configured installation" you should automatically come to an additional screen where you can set your default settings. You could leave there all as it is, or you could set several things GLOBALLY. I would suggest something like that:

As there are 4 groups of 3 items, total 12, with similar settings that are all set the same, I would suggest to give ONE set here: for these 12 you can set them all at once globally. And for the web shield, there should also be just one GLOBAL setting (for all 3 options).

This should be done while installing, but the same "global settings (overriding detail settings)" should also be available in the page with all the shields. You could also create several "protection level sets".

BTW: as it is now it is necessary to first turn all protection off during configuration - just to be sure that nothing can be deleted - as deleting without warning can be creating juristic problemes here!!! And that could be a reason not to use AVAST, but another AV-Solution that does not have such a critical moment of potential data loss. that setting cannot be considered as "safe" - I'm sorry!

Additionally, I miss the setting: "quarantine (and warn and/or block on access), but do not put out of the original place" (as putting to chest does).

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 11:41:55 PM »
avast GUI> Settings> Troubleshooting> Restore factory defaults.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

iroc9555

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 12:18:10 AM »
After you restore factory defaults settings shown by Para-Noid in the post above, and then change them to your liken. You can save that configuration in:

Avast! > Settings > Maintenance > Settings Backup-

Offline Anacunga

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 11:17:43 AM »
Sorry, but Para-Noid is so strange and even can't read what is written and asked in the postings above!!! He did neither get nor understand that changing all settings from "standard default" to MY OWN PERSONAL "DEFAULT" settings and loosing so much time everytime is that I WANT TO AVOID!!! Resetting to default just destroys my own settings I always need too much time for that; and additionally WITH DEFAULT SETTINGS THE PC IS IN AN UNSAFE STATE (as long as any setting is set to "delete", and also with "put to chest" without asking is not acceptable as "default setting") - and THAT is the main thing to avoid. And that's just the contrary of what is needed! What should "set to default" bring if the default settings are unusable and first thing after install MUST be disabling protection BEFORE all settings are CHANGED as DEFAULT SETTINGS as set now CAN DESTROY DATA!!! And additionally there is absolutely no reason to set to default settings just after a brand new install of a brand new Windows installation as all settings ARE SET TO DEFAULT.

Backup and Restore settings is at least some kind of shortcut - thanks for that; but it won't be a definitve solution as only a part of the problem is intercepted.

What I want is: NEVER (at NO moment - even not directly after installation) have any setting in a way that anything can be deleted or put to chest! And the solution must be in a way that after install, but BEFORE activating the shields, they must be configured in an easy way - not needing to spoil so much time for each and every setting separately (that all will get the same setting), but just to have a "global setting" (for all those settings that per default are set to "1. put to chest - 2. delete - 3. no action"; it should be possible to change them ALL AT ONCE to YOUR OWN DEFAULT, that could be "1. ask - 2. put to chest - 3. no action" or "1. repair - 2. put to chest - 3. ask" or what else. BUT THE MAIN THING IS: that must be done BEFORE ACTIVATING THE SHIELDS THE FIRST TIME. I would suggest to add in the chapter "real time shields" a "global settings (overriding detailed settings)" with the instruction: set global settings first, and then change your detailed settings in every chapter separately. This is concerning at least the "actions" and "reports" in the expert settings, but can also include heuristics etc. - all settings that are the same in several chapters.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 11:41:55 AM »
If a virus is detected most people will not have a clue of what to do if sett to ask.......they will freeze and call someone

anyway, i trust that the avast team that has worked with malware 24/7 for more the 20 years know what they do

AdrianH

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 12:05:55 PM »
If you want CUSTOM SETTINGS it is bound to take some time, just as it does with any other antivirus application.

It seems to me that you have plenty of time to whine here continually about every aspect of avast.
I have installed avast on literally hundreds of machines and don't find it takes more than a few minutes to set up whatever configuration users want.  I have NEVER seen any AV/antimalware system that does not come configured for the safest basic settings made useable for the "average " user. How are avast or any other company supposed to know exactly what settings you require? There we go Dev's you MUST install ESP mode in the  next  version  ::)

Once set up avast have provided the "Settings Backup/Restore" system which makes any future install a snap.

norel

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 09:30:57 PM »
It would be nice to have one place to set actions for all shields. For example, you could set your actions then have an option to "apply to all" or just the ones you tick. The avast5.ini file doesn't record these settings as far as I can tell.

I've been setting these for so long now it only takes a couple of minutes to set them all, but anything that makes life easier is okay in my book.  :)

Offline Anacunga

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 03:02:06 PM »
There are two potential problems with "custom default settings"; one is losing too much time at installation; the other is a fallback to "standard default settings" (I had that problem here - so I'm not telling fiction!) that are unacceptably dangerous (deleting in case moving to chest is not possible, and very limited chest size). What I am thinking of is that you can define "your own 'fallback custom default' settings" i.e. if some of the settings get reset (for what reason is not the question here), it should be possible that they are NOT reset (auto-reset = fallback) to the "standard default" settings, but to "your own custom default settings".

And the best thing is that you can define these "fallback custom default settings" while the installation process; after installation, but before protection is started the first time.

I could also imagine a system where while installatoin process (between installation and first run) there would be an additional screen where you can browse for a "settings backup file" (of another installation you had before).

But as it is now, it is very uncomfortable and takes too much time for the first settings.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 03:21:51 PM »
My custom settings which i apply to every shield and every scan plus exclusions take me in-excess of 5 minutes to complete and being you only have to do this once i see no problem with how it is now, everyone pleaded for more customizable settings for avast and once they were added they now whine it takes to long to customize ??? thats what i call ungrateful  ::)

Anacunga obviously you haven't noticed another customizable feature ??? you can increase the chest size  :o

Now you want fallback custom settings, im sure that if that feature was added then there would another area to customize and for you to complain about how much longer it takes  ::)

For the two days you have spent complaining about how long the settings take you could have adjusted settings to 50 installs of avast.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 03:24:39 PM by craigb »

Karen May Jones

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 05:03:07 PM »
After you restore factory defaults settings shown by Para-Noid in the post above, and then change them to your liken. You can save that configuration in:

Avast! > Settings > Maintenance > Settings Backup-
Hi, this is a very helpful post for those who want to keep their settings for ... "whatever reason".  Thank you for sharing this and I'm sure this will help the OP in some way.  Also, is this complaint because there are 12 different settings?  I think that is a low amount, really.  Of course, I may have mis read the situation.  Be good :)

norel

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 06:12:08 PM »
If you back up the settings, can you still restore them after a new install?

iroc9555

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2012, 06:34:23 PM »
If you back up the settings, can you still restore them after a new install?

Yes you can restore the back up after a reinstall or even a clean install. However I do not Know if the Avast! program version changes so much that it would not work. Let's say the next Avast! 8 or 10.

You can save the back up anywhere you like. I have a folder with my up to date program installers and I send my backups there. In case I have to reinstall Avast! I know where the back up is.

norel

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 06:11:30 AM »
I guess I never noticed this feature before. I see what you're saying iroc. It does look like it should be very useful.  :)