Author Topic: Using the WinRAR program; How to zip-up a file & email it?  (Read 18273 times)

Offline kls490

• Queen of the house
Using the WinRAR program; How to zip-up a file & email it?
« on: March 31, 2012, 12:36:54 PM »
Good morning everyone,

My question is this:  Can someone explain in a step-by-step manner how to zip-up a file (e.g. configuration files, setup files, log files, etc) using the WinRAR program, and send them via email?

I have rarely used the WinRAR program, and the few occasions I have, it was to unzip a file.  I have read through the help section, but cannot seem to grasp the "How to" of it, so-to-speak.

Thank you for your time and any info!
kls490

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Using the WinRAR program; How to zip-up a file & email it?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 12:41:04 PM »
Never used it.....as i use 7zip..very easy to use
in 7zip you can just right click a file and "compress and send with e-mail"  then password protect it if you want and click OK     
then your mail client pops up ready to fill in send to info...

anyway, will this help ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7OZK0UD9KU

http://faq.shopfactory.com/kb/article-34.html
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 12:51:54 PM by Pondus »

Offline kls490

• Queen of the house
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 01:15:29 PM »
I appreciate the info, Pondus.

Unfortunately my understanding of WinRAR is still zippo.  Another question I have is this;  When adding multiple files from two different locations (1 in %TEMP% & the other in %SYSTEMROOT%) to an archive, are the files COPIED, or is the actual file removed, compressed, then placed in the archive file?

I just discovered that the 7-Zip program is still on this computer.  However, it is just as confusing to me as WinRAR is.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 01:24:47 PM by spc3rd »
kls490

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 01:39:57 PM »
Hi,

Why not trying it yourself? Right Click on your desktop and from "New" menu create some files and then test how to compress them using WinRAR and what happens to them.

Actually to compress a file with must of them Archive utilities (WinZIP, WinRAR, PKZip, 7Zip, Arj etc) you have to Right Click on the file and from the related menu choose "Add to archive" or "add to xxxxxxx.rar" (where xxxxx stand for file name and .rar compress format). to compress multiple files at once from same location highlight them all first and then right click on them and then follow above guide. Usually to add files from several location I create archive in first location using right click option, then open it and then drag/drop files to it from other locations, easiest method.

When you create a new archive, your original files remain untouched, no matter from how many locations you add them to the archive.
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE

Offline kls490

• Queen of the house
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 04:41:37 PM »
I appreciate the info, Omid,

It will be a long while before I can get a grasp on how WinRAR works I'm afraid.  Fortunately...I won't have to use it like I thought.   :-\

Regards,
kls490

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 05:36:56 PM »
I wouldn't even be messing with winrar, 7zip is by far the easiest (and best IMHO) archiving program I have used.

How easy could it be to zip and email a file, right click and mouse over expansion and select one of the compress options and email; couldn't be easier. This compresses the file, opens my default email client (thunderbird) and attaches it.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 05:38:34 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline kls490

• Queen of the house
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 06:02:50 PM »
Thanks for the additional feedback, David!

One thing is confusing me.  When you compress a file and email it, the file is not actually being removed from its location is it(i.e. the file is being copied and compressed)?
kls490

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 06:11:12 PM »
No it is creating a copy.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline kls490

• Queen of the house
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 06:17:21 PM »
O.k.  That's one big item clarified for me!  I'll try tinkering around with the 7-zip program later and see what I can do with it.  Once I get the gist of it...I'll start working with WinRAR.  (Since I purchased the program a short while back...I may as well have a go at it)!

Thanks again for all the help David!
kls490

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 07:17:00 PM »
You're welcome.