Author Topic: *SOLVED*  (Read 2574 times)

VicVegas

*SOLVED*
« on: March 31, 2012, 06:53:31 AM »
Avast recently caught 10 files that belong to OpenMG, they look to all be false positives. I've sent them in and about half of them so far are re-scanning with "--no virus--" after update.

However I ran a boot scan and found another supposed virus in snapfire.msi, which belongs to Corel Photo Studio. However due to the type of file it appears Avast cannot do anything about it. Either way I believe it to be another false positive as my computer is still acting normally, but I'll post some logs to be on the safe side.

I'll get aswMBR.exe running in a bit.

Edit: Comodo is clearly not fond of it. I almost would like to hear what one of those silly geekbuddies thinks this is. :D

Edit 2: Results for aswMBR now posted. :)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 08:22:00 PM by VicVegas »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Cannot remove Win32:Trojen-Gen
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 10:16:19 AM »
However I ran a boot scan and found another supposed virus in snapfire.msi, which belongs to Corel Photo Studio. However due to the type of file it appears Avast cannot do anything about it.
the file detected is inside a compressed archive.......so avast will not rip it out

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 12:26:53 PM »
The logs look good, as it is a generic detection it is probably based on the packer type and the data inside.  I feel this may well be a False Positive.  However, if it is not then when the msi is opened the file shield will check it out and stop it if need be 

Are you experiencing any problems ?

VicVegas

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 09:01:54 PM »
No more problems than when I first got this computer. It's a weird gimmicky piece of junk Sony came up with some years ago when I didn't know better.

Now even after update I'm not getting the rest of them to re-scan with "--no virus--" yet, but I'll just ignore it for now since I'm pretty sure OpenMG is not a crucial program.

I'm also going to remove Corel. It's just useless trial software that came with this thing anyway, I never use it. :-\

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 09:11:58 PM »
OpenMG is part of the Sony drm set up

A few years ago it was actually called a rootkit and Sony had to change the coding to enable it to be removed

VicVegas

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 09:27:21 PM »
Oh DRM... that arrangement of letters always gives me a headache. >:(

Had I known that (I could have just wiki searched it) I would entirely agree with Avast's judgement. ;D

Anyway, Avast scanned that .msi while uninstalling and didn't catch anything then either, if it should have anyway.

VicVegas

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 12:09:02 PM »
Ah, yes. I have another question, though somewhat unrelated. I just recently went to the Resident Evil wiki and got a popup asking me for a user name and password. Something to do with "hpwallpaper" or something like that. I don't suppose I should post the link here, so what exactly should I do?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 12:17:53 PM »
adotd does not have permission to provide help in this section so has been deleted.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 01:18:47 PM »
No need for the link I have just been there and tried it.  I feel that the page has an error on it as that is normally required to gain access to a protected area, or it is a clever scam

Either way ignore it

VicVegas

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 08:20:25 PM »
Now that you mention it, I think I've been there and had that before.  On the other hand my memory is not that great, so for all I know it may not have even been that particular wikia.

Anyway, thanks for all the help!  ;D