Author Topic: demo license for bart 3.0  (Read 20310 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: demo license for bart 3.0
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 08:46:34 PM »
well, i'm grasping at straws...... windows vista could be purchased for about $80. i really don't care about anything other than retrieving my files/data, using the easiest and cheapest solution. could you suggest a remedy that would be doable for a novice? 
I'll try http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/
The best things in life are free.

jflavius

calling TECH
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 03:03:26 PM »
hello,
altho you may not approve, if i purchase a new version of windows, will my computer boot to the disk installation at startup (if there are no hardware problems)..........? thanks again for all your help.

jF

jflavius

Re: calling TECH
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2012, 03:40:42 PM »
oops...... sorry. i didn't realize that these posts had gone to a 2nd page and hadn't seen your reply w/ the recovery disc option thru neosmart technologies. i'm going to try it and let you know how it goes.

thanks again,

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2012, 05:34:38 PM »
hello,
altho you may not approve, if i purchase a new version of windows, will my computer boot to the disk installation at startup (if there are no hardware problems)..........? thanks again for all your help.

jF
Most probably it won't work. Booting into Windows DVD, you can only perform a clean installation and not an overinstallation if I remember correctly.

jflavius

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2012, 06:56:51 PM »
i'm trying your neo-technologies repair strategy right now....

jflavius

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2012, 08:25:40 PM »
alas, another failure. i tried the automatic repair function on the repair disk to no avail. i then tried the manual method, starting from the command prompt, went thru many steps and then finally i received the message that the computer rejected the procedure i was trying to get recognized that would allow windows to boot up...... earlier, you stated that you didn't think a new windows disk would allow for a re-install (retaining data/files). i thought i read that it would thru one of the links you supplied to me........ i'm at a loss and $40 poorer.....

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2012, 09:24:33 PM »
i'm at a loss and $40 poorer.....
Sorry, did you pay for the recovery disks? I've thought they were a freeware...
Any Linux Live CD or USB drive (like this: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download) could allow you to mount the Windows system files (NTFS) and recovery the files. If you can't, maybe you can go for avast! Bart CD.

jflavius

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2012, 02:28:48 PM »
well, i downloaded the ubuntu system and got it to boot on my toshiba...... yippee! after many trying searches, i did start to find my data (docs/pics/etc). yippee! now i'm struggling with how to get them out of the computer. i didn't install ubuntu, just used it from the cd tray. i then thought that maybe by installing it, it would recognize the media (flash drive) that i wanted to use to move the data. however, i haven't been able to install it. i'm not exactly sure how to. i get confused when the installation starts asking how to install it (on what partition/etc). i did try a few options, but they weren't the right ones apparently, according to the installation disk. very confusing. any suggestions as to how i might get the data out of the computer.....?
thanks again.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2012, 02:39:02 PM »
Do not install Ubuntu and delete partitions... You'll lose your data.
If you plug an external drive (USB), won't Ubuntu recognize it?
What if you plug before Ubuntu CD load?

jflavius

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2012, 06:22:45 PM »
i'll try that (plugging in the usb drive before i start the computer).....

jflavius

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2012, 09:18:54 PM »
Success

keeping the usb device plugged in while starting the computer worked. ubuntu recognized the usb and i am in the process of moving whatever data i can find onto the memory stick......... afterward, i will try installing the windows os back onto the computer and start over......... thanks so much for your help. you are a prince among men......

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2012, 09:44:15 PM »
Your Easter gift from avast! forums!
Come back when you need. Suggest avast! to your friends :)