Author Topic: New to Avast  (Read 3217 times)

MaNiAc

New to Avast
« on: December 14, 2004, 11:28:14 PM »
What I would like to is have Avast run through a batch file iand then place that batch file in windows task manager for automatic nightly updating/scanning. Is it possible with the home edition?? If not I assume it is with professional but do you have to pay for yearly updates with the professional?? I am trying to avoid that cost which is why I am testing this program. I do not mind purchasing software but I do mind paying constantly for something I already purchased.

Again thanks for the Help!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:New to Avast
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 11:37:15 PM »
Is it possible with the home edition?
Read HERE how to schedule a scan with the Home version. The Pro version has an option to shedule build in.

do you have to pay for yearly updates with the professional?
For prices/purchase options start HERE

For a price calculation look HERE
« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 11:38:14 PM by Eddy »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2004, 12:10:44 AM »
The major disadvantage with the task scheduler trick of using ashquick.exe is, it will scan every file of the hdd, partition, folder or file that you set it to scan; even those files not considered a potential threat, this can a long time.

The Pro version gives a lot more flexibility and the scan would follow the settings and exclusions, etc. of the regular scan.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

MaNiAc

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2004, 12:14:27 AM »
Thanks thats Exactly what I was looking for!!

My computer now starts its system maintenance at 3 AM and does the following tasks in order...

3 AM - Begin Disk Health
- All Temporary Files are Deleted
- Disk Clean Up runs with Max. Options
- HDD is Defragged
6:10 AM- Avast AntiVirus scans HDD for Virus.

Sweetness Now I just gotta see if I can set SpyBot Search and Destroy to do the same thing  ;)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2004, 12:23:20 AM »
That looks fine, provided of course you aren't an early riser as I think you are in for a couple of hours at least (possibly more) if you have a large HDD and lots of files.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

MaNiAc

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2004, 02:01:59 AM »
The other stuff happens fairly quickly as I do it once a night and have been for a long time. Combined with the fact that I only use a 40GB HDD because I really don't store that much. It's usually done all that in about an hour at the most... I just ran it in under 30 minutes actually, diskkeeper pro seems to have integrated itself into my O/S and runs as the command line defragger which is nice.

Here's the site where I obtained the Batch File I am using if anyone wants it, just download and modify...

http://www.langa.com
« Last Edit: December 15, 2004, 02:34:25 AM by MaNiAc »