Author Topic: Have you ever seen these Weird files?  (Read 4990 times)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Have you ever seen these Weird files?
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2012, 10:53:37 AM »
That file is from Sonic Solutions and is legitimate

I wonder if some of the pictures on the site you visited were corrupted or had hidden data on the image which Avast has stripped out during the boot scan

Can they be deleted by a right click

jbsffun

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2012, 08:07:57 PM »
 Oh thanks, I thought the DLA designation looked familiar.
 Re/ the files They appeared just as they are before running the boot time scan.
 Both time they appeared my computer acted up--- I tried to figure out what the problem was--- then I isolated those files in a separate folder ---scanned them with avast by right click menu. After that I did the boot time scan to see if infection was present both time scan came back negative.
  If this is a new type of infection do I get to name it ?  HA !

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2012, 09:37:35 PM »
Yep you can name it - but I am not sure what it was.  As it has left no files on the computer or changed any registry keys that I can see

Are they deletable by right click ?

jbsffun

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2012, 10:52:21 PM »
  Yes   I sent one to the Recycle bin and it went .  Have not tried to delete from there , as I said if I do delete them I will use a file shredder from some other source IE:/ ccleaner. If it won't delete from there I will let you know.
 So the mystery still stands ?   So if it happens again should I do the MBAM, OTL, aswMBR thing before I isolate the weird files and run avast.
 Not sure I would be able to, but could try. Nice to know my puters clean. Looking around the board lots of Alureon-K. stuff going on so I'll look on the bright side + consider myself lucky.

Anyway thanks for your help I think I will take this discussion to Bleeping computer + some other forums to see if anyone has seen these types of files before. I'm one of those who wants to know WHY.
Appreciate it.
 Jim M

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2012, 11:11:56 PM »
It is something I have not come across before normally that type of character is associated with a driver or dll file

jbsffun

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2012, 11:01:54 PM »
Essexboy,
 Since our last contact it has occured twice more, with the last I  ran HJT and it showed some problems never indicated before.  So following your procedures :
 I did a MBAM /saved the log , when I did the OTL it did NOT produce an extras log, Do I need to download a new version of OTL ? Also saved the aswMBR. file Ok.
 Should I repost here or start a new post.

:o Thanks for your help

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2012, 11:10:35 PM »
The extra.txt is only created at first run of otl......it is not important, just some extra technical info
If this is the same problem.....attach the logs here