Author Topic: >> UPDATES <<  (Read 5763275 times)

Spyros

Re: >> UPDATES <<
« Reply #525 on: September 21, 2005, 01:51:01 PM »
I'm sorry and with all due respect Spyros, but this firewall is nothing but the joke...
Sasha, it may be, I don't know. I never said that it is good. I have heard about the company, the forum is on Wilders, I even use ProcX (freeware) by them without a problem... Thank you for informing us about your findings. Eventually time will tell, I think it's too new to find anything on Google.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 01:56:11 PM by Spyros »

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #526 on: September 21, 2005, 02:04:18 PM »
No no Spyros do not worry at all, no need to explain yourself or anything... I just mentioned that because it really sounded very strange.

I'm telling you, firewall looks really nice and would maybe give it a try, but few things are sooo strange, and I think, we shouldn't "attack" it right away without checking on some things, but just to be careful because there are many new members in this forum and also some people that don't know that much about computer security.

Of course you did nothing wrong, and please don't take this as a cryticism, rather as some kind of precaution.

Regards !
Sasha

EDIT: Of course I would like to see people's experiences (if any yet) and sure I would give it a try here on my PC. I keep my backup image files safe on DVDs and two spare HDs, so it's very easy to test those things without screwing up my system. If anything goes wrong, just in 5 minutes, my system is completely restored to some previous safe point.

I don't want this to sound like I have anything against this program or the author (NO WAY), we all know how I reacted towards Arovax shield, we all know I was defending his try and effort, but I'm just being cautious this time since we talk about firewall (first line of defense when it comes to computer security).

Sure it would be great if it's some new promising product... and again, I have to say, it really looks nice and gives an impression of a strong product. Is it true, we all have to check first... I'm ready to play with it...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 05:27:07 PM by S.Z.Craftec »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Spyros

« Reply #527 on: September 23, 2005, 10:15:50 AM »
Microsoft Antispyware Definitions #5761

a-squared (a²)
Downloading Engine Kernel ... Several speed and threading improvements.
Downloading Cumulative signature update 09/22/2005 ... 149383 signatures in total.
Downloading Cumulative signature update 09/22/2005 ... 27218 traces in total.

Spyros

« Reply #528 on: September 23, 2005, 02:51:28 PM »
Spybot S&D update

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #529 on: September 23, 2005, 08:16:24 PM »
AS of 9.20.05 Firefox 1.0.7 update is available.  It doesn't add any new goodies, but updates security fixes. 
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

8) 8)

I just did a clean install of the update but unfortunately it went into a loop so I had to uninstall it

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #530 on: September 25, 2005, 03:51:22 PM »
Not exactly a software update, but still I want to mention it.

- Obtained 2 domain names for my website

- Added a link section to my website
- Changed the colors of my website (hope you like them)
- Now all pages are using the same colors, including the webboard
- Only Bot projects still have their own colors
- Support section for my software now only accessable for members
- Rearranged some tables with links
- Fixed some typo's and broken links

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #531 on: September 25, 2005, 05:05:40 PM »
- Changed the colours of my website (hope you like them)
I like them, anything like Maroon and Sky Blue old Airborne colours are nice ;D
« Last Edit: September 25, 2005, 05:08:49 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #532 on: September 25, 2005, 05:45:40 PM »
"GreenBrowser" has been updated to version 3.1.0730

You can download the latest version from
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #533 on: September 26, 2005, 03:27:55 AM »
a squared update
The best things in life are free.

Jason_R0

« Reply #534 on: September 26, 2005, 06:01:02 PM »
I'm sorry and with all due respect Spyros, but some things connected to this product looks like nothing, but a joke...

See here:

http://www.antionline.com/printthread.php?threadid=111958&pagenumber=1

The guy is advertising his own product without telling people who he is. Actually he tried to represent himself as a "happy" user who gives that firewall A+++++ score.

The other suspicious thing is there is actually no hits when you search through the Google, actually the link up there was the only one except few things Linux related. Also Copernic search engine shows nothing, nada, zero...

Forum is a joke, actually there is no forum at all. Just two posts made by the firewall owner. See here:

Also, description of the firewall is unbelievable cheap:

Quote from that page:
It's main features are :-
- High performance
- Low resource usage
- Valuable network statistics

I don't think those should be main features of one good firewall  ::) Where are other more important things... nothing is mentioned. Of course, it looks attractive like that in black color and I must admit it looks different than any other firewall, but let's not be fooled just by the look. We are talking about serious security issues, and we all want to be protected best we can.

This is ABOUT US page:

Again, very little or no information at all...

Edit: expected more serious information about the company... something like we can see on avast! web page: http://www.avast.com/eng/company.html

Something more directed to company's BIO or portfolio or something like that...

I'd just like to point out that the URL you posted to, which is also dated from 2001 :-

http://www.antionline.com/printthread.php?threadid=111958&pagenumber=1

Isn't from me, but someone else. GhostWall was released in 2005, a few days ago, not 2001. It didn't have many google hits because it is new, if you do a search now you will find quite a few sites picking it up.

Jason

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #535 on: September 26, 2005, 06:15:58 PM »
No problem Jason, no offense meant at all. These are computer security related forums and naturally we are trying to provide some good and useful information and advices to new members.

I've noticed that link is dated back in 2001 (09-18-2001 07:02 AM), but usually there are no two products from the same cathegory "wearing" exactly the same name... so that was confusing.

Again, no offense meant but I still have one suggestion... you guys should put some more info especially on ABOUT US page. I mean, firewalls are first line of computer defence, and people would really like to find out some more about the company if they decide to go with your product.

I really appreciate you are providing a firewall and all that free of charge, that's really nice... Also, it really looks different, and I am ready to give it a try, but still I would like to get some more detailed info on all features it gives us.

Keep up the good work and if you have some free time sometimes, please post some details in here, so avast! users can find out little bit more about your product.

Take care !
Regards,
Sasha
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Jason_R0

« Reply #536 on: September 26, 2005, 06:20:35 PM »
No problem Jason, no offense meant at all. These are computer security related forums and naturally we are trying to provide some good and useful information and advices to new members.

I've noticed that link is dated back in 2001 (09-18-2001 07:02 AM), but usually there are no two products from the same cathegory "wearing" exactly the same name... so that was confusing.

Again, no offense meant but I still have one suggestion... you guys should put some more info especially on ABOUT US page. I mean, firewalls are first line of computer defence, and people would really like to find out some more about the company if they decide to go with your product.

I really appreciate you are providing a firewall and all that free of charge, that's really nice... Also, it really looks different, and I am ready to give it a try, but still I would like to get some more detailed info on all features it gives us.

Keep up the good work and if you have some free time sometimes, please post some details in here, so avast! users can find out little bit more about your product.

Take care !
Regards,
Sasha

Hi Sasha,

I will try and get myself or some of my testers to post about updates here if that is ok. I didn't realize the About Us page is that important, but I will take your criticism onboard and try and improve it for the future.

Jason

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #537 on: September 26, 2005, 06:34:03 PM »
Please do not take it as a cryticism, rather as a suggestion. Please take a look at avast! About Us page and you'll see how close you can get to Alwil team. That makes them more natural as well as even more professional... and still they give us wonderful Home Edition which is also free...

Everyone who knows me, is well aware that I don't like to criticize, but I am here when we need to give some suggestions on how to improve something. I know very well how important that is... if you have some time, take a look in here:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=13208.0 (16 pages of constant suggestions from avast! users, and I took all those things into consideration. I like to cooperate with avast! users, just because I'm making skins so they can enjoy avast! even more... but I just wanted to show you that I like to listen)

There are few more threads similar to that one, and considering I already made 24 skins by now, every single announcement for the new skin, thread where I posted those information is pretty much the same as the one I gave you link up there...

Cheers !

EDIT: maybe this one too:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=10487.0
« Last Edit: September 26, 2005, 06:37:37 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Jason_R0

« Reply #538 on: September 27, 2005, 11:07:41 AM »
GhostWall v1.100 has been released.

http://www.ghostsecurity.com/index.php?page=ghostwall

Changes since last version :-

-Fixed a system crash bug which some people experienced
-Added IP Address to Country lookups in the log
-Optimizations to rule and packet filtering

What is GhostWall?
GhostWall is a firewall which allows you to restrict the communications between your computer and others. Unlike other firewalls which have forgotten their main role, GhostWall is simply a firewall mainly designed to replace the standard Microsoft firewall with better features and performance.

GhostWall works on Windows XP,XP-64 (x64),2000 and 2003
It is completely free for personal/educational/commercial use.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #539 on: September 27, 2005, 01:42:58 PM »
Jason, does GhostWall protects the outbound traffic or, like standard Microsoft firewall, just the inbound?
The best things in life are free.