Author Topic: What does the Behaviour Shield do in Avast 7?  (Read 29384 times)

stormer

What does the Behaviour Shield do in Avast 7?
« on: April 04, 2012, 12:14:41 PM »
What does the behaviour shield do in Avast 7 Free?

A few more questions:

Does the B-Shield have pop-up window if anything is detected? When set to Auto/Ask? (*)

Since I was always under the assumption that the B-Shield was part of the Auto-Sandbox, if I don't install the B-Shield will the Auto-Sandbox still function, and how?

(*) I asked this because someone on another forum did mention it.

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
Re: What does the Behaviour Shield do in Avast 7?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 01:44:08 PM »
Quote from igor (Avast! team): the main thing the Behavior Shield does is provide context information for other shields (mainly FileSystem Shield), i.e. making many of the heuristic detections work (i.e. something invisible, but important performed on background)

note that without behaviour shield, script shield does not function at all

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 02:59:31 PM »
But frankly, from my experience, even when provoking it intentionally with actual malware, you will NEVER see it do anything for as long as it's set to Auto Decide (Ask mode doesn't really count as it's way too noisy). In all the time, i haven't seen a single detection by the Behavior Shield. Context or not, from my point of view it doesn't do much. I'd prefer a proper full featured Behavior Blocker like i've seen them years ago (Cyberhawk/ThreatFire) comes to mind. Or the older Kaspersky PDM which still seems to do remarkably well. Oh well...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 03:46:05 PM »
I have the Behavior Shield set to Auto-decide.  Since powering up just over 3 hours ago, it's currently showing 68 items scanned.  In it's history, the count for the past week is 6021.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 04:10:17 PM »
Scanned yes, plenty. But have you ever seen actually blocking it anything (ever)? I haven't and that makes me a sad panda.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 04:15:43 PM »
Scanned yes, plenty. But have you ever seen actually blocking it anything (ever)? I haven't and that makes me a sad panda.

This past week's history says that 3 items were blocked.  My grandsons were using the computer to play games over the internet, so they likely stumbled into something.  Avast and MalwareBytes full scan afterwards found no infections.  They weren't logged into the only admin account on this machine.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 04:17:56 PM by Gopher John »
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

akama1

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 09:54:33 AM »
if you want it to show alerts when it blocks any malicious programs... you would have to change settings to block so that it will detect and deny every suspicious events recorded in auto-decide mode

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 05:22:43 PM »
if you want it to show alerts when it blocks any malicious programs... you would have to change settings to block so that it will detect and deny every suspicious events recorded in auto-decide mode

Even the "red line" event doesn't mean anything was actually blocked. It just means something triggered Behavior Shield, but since it always allows everything on Auto-Decide, it won't actually block anything. So seeing supposedly detected itsems means nothing.