Author Topic: Google Chrome installed without permission  (Read 15232 times)

bumper7

Google Chrome installed without permission
« on: April 04, 2012, 01:33:04 PM »
When I booted up my computer this morning I was SHOCKED to see that Google Chrome was installed on my computer WITHOUT MY PERMISSION. It also made itself my default browser...again WITHOUT MY PERMISSION. Through an internet search, I found that Avast is the culprit. I've used Avast (free version) for over 4 years and it automatically updates itself. At no time would I EVER have agreed to have Chrome installed with the option ticked to install Chrome. I am very particular about what I put on my computer and am extremely upset that Avast would do such a thing. It's especially distressing since I've depended on Avast to protect me from unwanted computer invasions, and here it has installed a HUGE program on my computer without ANY AUTHORIZATION from me, and adding to the offense, removed MY CHOICE of Firefox as my default browser (which I've since remedied). I had recommended Avast to many people who have thanked me because they were so pleased with its performance. Some were so pleased they went on to purchase the enhanced, paid version. I will now be notifying these people about what Avast has done to my computer and let them decide for themselves whether they want to relinquish control of their computer to Avast. I DO NOT. I am heartsick over what I consider a betrayal of my trust.

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
Re: Google Chrome installed without permission
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 01:41:22 PM »
this is a bug which occurs on some systems.

to help identify the problem, please provide ur system specs and whatever Avast developers request.

Offline OliveOyl

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 05:42:00 PM »
If I remember correctly, the last time I updated the program I was asked whether or not I wanted to install Chrome and make it my default browser.  I had to check or uncheck a box or two.  I didn't want Chrome as I am happy with Firefox.  I get updates automatically but I have to do program updates manually--not sure why but it's not a problem for me.

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 07:10:45 PM »
yupps, its correct that google chrome is opt out thing in the installer. but it is clearly displayed in the installer. if it is nowhere to be found, it is a bug.

pmjcg47

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 04:48:51 PM »
I agree with all bumper7 said about how good Avast is, and I too have been recommending it to everyone.  But installing Chrome without specific permission is iniquitous, especially as uninstalling Chrome caused me problems with links not working in Outlook emails and Word documents - apparently that's common, and Microsoft now have a fix for it. 

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 07:10:17 AM »
1. yupps, its correct that google chrome is opt out thing in the installer. but it is clearly displayed in the installer.
2. if it is nowhere to be found, it is a bug.

1. +1
2. It was a bug in the first version 7 and has been fixed meanwhile.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline buggerlugz

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 10:16:48 AM »
When I booted up my computer this morning I was SHOCKED to see that Google Chrome was installed on my computer WITHOUT MY PERMISSION. It also made itself my default browser...again WITHOUT MY PERMISSION. Through an internet search, I found that Avast is the culprit. I've used Avast (free version) for over 4 years and it automatically updates itself. At no time would I EVER have agreed to have Chrome installed with the option ticked to install Chrome. I am very particular about what I put on my computer and am extremely upset that Avast would do such a thing. It's especially distressing since I've depended on Avast to protect me from unwanted computer invasions, and here it has installed a HUGE program on my computer without ANY AUTHORIZATION from me, and adding to the offense, removed MY CHOICE of Firefox as my default browser (which I've since remedied). I had recommended Avast to many people who have thanked me because they were so pleased with its performance. Some were so pleased they went on to purchase the enhanced, paid version. I will now be notifying these people about what Avast has done to my computer and let them decide for themselves whether they want to relinquish control of their computer to Avast. I DO NOT. I am heartsick over what I consider a betrayal of my trust.

I am having this problem too, using avast free currently. If I select "CUSTOM" install and untick what I don't want, it still installs Chrome. There is no option to even select regarding whether chrome is installed or not, it just does it anyway.  Sadly however on the pc i'm working on, it fails to install it, and thus the av program does not work. Not an ideal situation by any stretch of the imagination.

If anyone can point me in the direction of an older version of avast free without this chrome issue it would be much appreciated.

pmjcg47

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 03:24:07 PM »
I've given up on Avast 7, as it kept blocking my Hotmail emails from coming in to Outlook.  I've uninstalled it and reinstalled version 6 - no further problems.  Version 6 is available at http://www.oldapps.com/avast_antivirus.php?old_avast=6918. You still have to uncheck a box that says you want Chrome.

lordkeg

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 05:13:45 AM »

I just updated the program, it asked that I reboot so it could complete installation which I did, then it showed a message asking me if I wanted to install google chrome with a checkbox. Before I could decide one way or the other the popup closed and complete installation and installed Google Chrome. There is no explicit acceptance of installing Google Chrome, this is clearly unacceptable guys. Very unlike Avast too, have been very happy with the product up until now.

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 06:21:34 AM »
please report ur system specs (eg windows 7 sp1 32bit)

provide a screenshot of the installer not working as intended if possible too.

this is because the 'forced install of google chrome bug' should have been solved with the latest installer.

ManyQs

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 08:53:44 AM »
Okay, this topic has been on my mind a fair bit in the past few days and this new thread gives me a chance to ask a question.

The "bug" that I have read a few times about was "definitely" fixed?  Or "maybe" fixed?  Has to be one or the other, right?

Next question is whether Avast will place any empty Google files onto a computer?

I ask that last question because last night I found a Google file on my computer and I cannot understand how it got there.  This is the Epson which I upgraded a few days ago, not the Dell I have been working with to fix and have been discussing in another troubleshooting thread.  The Epson upgraded just fine, but I most definitely unchecked the box for Google Chrome.  But I still found a Google folder with lots of sub-folders and the "empty" install folder has a very recent date.  Almost about when the upgrade was done, but I need to find a log that indicates exactly what time I did the upgrade.

So the question again is whether any Google files get put on the computer by Avast, empty or not, even when one unchecks (opts out) the Google Chrome during upgrade?  Or new install?

Thank you.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 09:00:40 AM »
1. The "bug" that I have read a few times about was "definitely" fixed?

2. Next question is whether Avast will place any empty Google files onto a computer?

1. Yes.
2. No.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 09:16:17 PM »
I know it's complicated but seems the pathway is described here:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=81104.msg775764#msg775764
The best things in life are free.

lordkeg

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 01:12:05 AM »
in response to AntiVirusASeT:

"please report ur system specs (eg windows 7 sp1 32bit)

provide a screenshot of the installer not working as intended if possible too.

this is because the 'forced install of google chrome bug' should have been solved with the latest installer."

Windows Vista home basic sp2 32 bit

Sorry no screenshot, but upgraded to Avast 7 yesterday.

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2012, 12:29:34 PM »
Avast, be off with you, and take your pushy sneaky Chrome backdoor insertion with you. Shame.