Author Topic: Extra Protection Question  (Read 2723 times)

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
Extra Protection Question
« on: April 10, 2012, 09:29:47 PM »
Hey Forum friends! I am wondering.. would it be like smart to install SUPERAntiSpyware along beside avast and malwarebytes' anti-malware? would that be to much extra protection? 8)
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Extra Protection Question
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 10:20:47 PM »
I have both, I started out with SAS free and felt it worthy enough to buy the Pro version, this was before I even heard of MBAM.

So for some time I had SAS Pro as resident anti-spyware and trialled the MBAM free. In the end I purchased a Pro license for that and now run SAS Pro as non-resident on-demand anti-spyware.

SAS hasn't found anything (I don't have it scan for cookies) for some considerable time, but then again has MBAM other than a couple of FPs, not that I expect either of them to find anything. When you look at the features there is a little difference in both and SAS has some good Repair functions also.

So for me there isn't an issue in having them both, but only one should be the resident on-access anti-spyware, in the same way as not having multiple resident on-access AVs..
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

iroc9555

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 10:43:09 PM »
I have both, I started out with SAS free and felt it worthy enough to buy the Pro version, this was before I even heard of MBAM.

So for some time I had SAS Pro as resident anti-spyware and trialled the MBAM free. In the end I purchased a Pro license for that and now run SAS Pro as non-resident on-demand anti-spyware.

SAS hasn't found anything (I don't have it scan for cookies) for some considerable time, but then again has MBAM other than a couple of FPs, not that I expect either of them to find anything. When you look at the features there is a little difference in both and SAS has some good Repair functions also.

So for me there isn't an issue in having them both, but only one should be the resident on-access anti-spyware, in the same way as not having multiple resident on-access AVs..

;D  ;D Same here. I used to run Spy Sweeper, but got an offer for SAS Pro Lifetime subscription I could not refuse. I ran it for a while but at that time it really comsumed my resources so I switched back to SS then I won a MBAM Pro lincense and I have not go back to SS. I also used SAS only for on demmad scanner.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 12:33:00 AM by iroc9555 »

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 11:51:46 PM »
The only thing SAS has ever found for me where lots and lots of cookies.

I happen to like cookies (especially animal crackers) and unlike SAS don't think they're so terrible.
I have MBAM Pro (special offer $9.95 for a lifetime license) and find it a great companion to avast! 7 Free.  :D
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v24H2 64bit, 32 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 24.4.6112, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 12:23:28 AM »

I happen to like cookies (especially animal crackers) and unlike SAS don't think they're so terrible.
<snip>

Which is exactly why I uncheck the scan for tracking cookies option, its quite configurable only have it look for what you want.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 12:26:26 AM »

I have MBAM Pro (special offer $9.95 for a lifetime license) and find it a great companion to avast! 7 Free.  :D
SAS is a great cookie eater!

It is not worth the price for its Pro version either.

MBAM Pro is definitly worth it.  :)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 12:40:12 AM »
Hi Coolmario88,

I run both SAS and MBAM and still have the old SpywareBlaster on my OS.
Well let us sum it up for you now. We use one resident av solution of choice and that is avast.
We have the avast shields activated an d up.
We may use non-residental scanners for second opinion. In case of doubt we come and ask here.
We always make use of fully patched and updated OS and third party software (check with secunia psi).
We use common sense,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 01:10:40 AM »
By what i have read in this topic.. It is good to have SAS, MBAM installed also for extra protection.. so I just installed SAS! :) Thanks everybody for answering my question! :)
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).