Author Topic: Whitelist Steam and its games already...  (Read 6071 times)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Whitelist Steam and its games already...
« on: April 08, 2012, 09:58:10 AM »
This is getting very annoying already. Almost every other game from Steam gets sandboxed for no real reason. Why don't you just whitelist the darn thing so anything executed by Steam doesn't get sandboxed? Or just make it problem free somehow. I don't really care how.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

stitt

Re: Whitelist Steam and its games already...
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 10:18:13 AM »
Just set auto to ask, click the add rule box it wont ask again. It is annoying but at least this way it will only ask once.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 01:13:37 PM »
Just set auto to ask, click the add rule box it wont ask again. It is annoying but at least this way it will only ask once.
I believe RejZoR is using avast! Free. The 'Remember my answer...' option isn't selectable.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 02:31:06 PM »
I use the free version and the option is available in the free version, but you won't see it until you first select Open Normally (don't know why yours appears greyed out).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 02:55:10 PM »
Thanks DavidR. There's something for me to investigate. I only have one machine with 'Free' and it looks like it's gone 'glitchy' on me!

spg SCOTT

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 03:08:49 PM »
RejZoR,

What do the popups say is the reasoning behind them being sandboxed?

There are options in the settings that you can turn off, to avoid certain situations. (Added in the latest version I think)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 04:56:22 PM »
Thanks DavidR. There's something for me to investigate. I only have one machine with 'Free' and it looks like it's gone 'glitchy' on me!

No problem, do you have it on Auto or Ask (default is Ask on latest version I believe), if on Auto I don't know if the options change. I have always set mine on Ask regardless of what the default is/was as I prefer to have full control over any interaction.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Cast

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 12:39:05 AM »
You could do what i do, just go to steamapps>common, and add that whole folder to the FSS. I get no warnings or popups that way.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 07:46:31 AM »
It doesn't matter, causual Steam user won't be bothering with all the nonsense mentioned above. They just want the games to work. Throwing bunch of warnings at them will make doubt them about Steam or avast!. And i think avast! will get sacked if they installed it later after using some other AV that didn't bother them when they tried playing games from Steam...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 03:18:40 PM »

No problem, do you have it on Auto or Ask (default is Ask on latest version I believe), if on Auto I don't know if the options change. I have always set mine on Ask regardless of what the default is/was as I prefer to have full control over any interaction.

Further investigation results

1. It doesn't matter whether you have it on 'Ask' or 'Auto', clicking next time 'Run normally' on the 'Auto' dialog (avast!FreeAutosandbox_5.jpg) will create an exception entry.

2. The greyed out 'Remember my answer...' checkbox is only apparently incorrect.
Note in the attached shots (avast!FreeAutosandbox_4.jpg & avast!FreeAutosandbox_3.jpg) not only is the checkbox greyed but the red text is also inappropriate. What's happening is that while the drop-down/combo selection appears to change on screen, the actual program setting is not changing, i.e. it's the unchanged grey checkbox and red text that remain correct, the 'Open normally' or 'Cancel opening 'have not actually changed. Even if I choose 'Cancel opening' it still opens it in the sandbox.

3. The 'Ask' or 'Auto' choice in Autosandbox mode are also "sticky" but in a slightly different way.
Choosing either and immediately clicking 'OK' results in no change. However changing from one to the other and waiting 3 seconds before clicking 'OK' does effect the change