Author Topic: Poll: Option "first check when last update was done"  (Read 2097 times)

suiker

Poll: Option "first check when last update was done"
« on: April 09, 2012, 01:07:57 PM »
Anyone interested in an option that avast first (=before updating) checks whether the last update is longer ago than the time specified in "auto update interval (default 240min)"?  Because now avast updates always only just because you rebooted your PC even if the last update is just 1 hour ago or so.

So if anyone is interested in such an option support this thread to get a voice.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Poll: Option "first check when last update was done"
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 02:12:19 PM »
It won't be bad... But the amount of options in the interface (Update settings page) will be increasing and giving that many options would be intimidating for common users. It really won't hurt another update after booting, will it? ;)
The best things in life are free.

suiker

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 04:29:02 PM »
I think it's thee missing option in the updates menu. (And it is missing to fully control avast's update behaviour.)

Whether a common user would really care, I don't know. In fact I don't know if a common user has a look at the settings menu at all. But it would maybe be confusing if a common user finds that option too, because he does not know that avast is checking for updates after each reboot no matter when the last update was, and so he maybe would not understand what the option is for or that he will disable that "reboot-update" (which is good for common users) if using that new option... There you are right.
So maybe it would be better to have an option named "Avast looks for updates after each start of your PC (recommended)" [default: checked] in conjunction with "auto update interval".

I was annoyed because of that. So I wanted to know how many people would like to get that feature too and if there is a chance to get it (although I think there are not that many people missing it.)

suiker

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 10:43:03 AM »
Would it really hurt to have that one additional (self-explanatory) option?